cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ports

N/A

Ports

hey i have a hub that has a firewall and iv got a windows firewall and im running a server and at the moment port 80 is open ive noticed the windows firewall has internal and external port choice, so lets say i change all the port open to a random no. like 2031 then when people look at my website they have to type www.domainname.com:2031, can i make it so its on port 2031 and not have to type :2031at the end because then its point less and people will know the port im on and hack, i was wondering if i could use the windows firewall with the internal and external port choice change the port and trick it slightly, if yes how, if no is the there anyway of running on a random port no. and not have to type it and the end all the timeHuhHuhHuh
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Ports

No,
port 80 is default for http requests.

Chris
michaelscott
Grafter

Ports

if you are running on a port other than 80, then it needs to be appended to the end of the URL.

You seem to be under the impression that all a hacker needs to know to hack your website is the port - this is not the case. Almost every site on the internet uses port 80, this portal included. Very few websites get hacked. If a hacker wanted to find out what different port you were using, it wouldn't be dificult anyway.

As long as you use a decent web server and have a decent firewall set up, you shouldnt need to worry.
N/A

Ports

ok but when i set up a domain name point to my address for example xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and a port of 2012 then when i give itmy ip and sername cant i put :2012 after then both so the domain ponits at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:2012Huh
N/A

Ports

No, you cannot specify a port number in a DNS record.

Tim
N/A

Ports

so are you sure i cant do anything to changes the ports without typeing it in after the web address
michaelscott
Grafter

Ports

we're sure
N/A

Ports

ok
michaelscott
Grafter

Ports

there is a half solution. you can get a website to load within a frame. eg when you go to whatever.com it can load the contents of you:2031 and you wouldn't have to have it on the end of the url. people would still be able to see the port number when they hover over the links, though.