cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ports 445 and 139

N/A

Ports 445 and 139

I have a firewall which says that it has blocked a lot of hits on these ports (mostly 445) and most of the Source DNS seems to be Plusnet ie xxxx.plus.com.
Are these virisus?
Thanks
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Ports 445 and 139

Yes and no. They are likely to be systems who are infected that are trying to infect you. 139 is netbios file and print sharing which is often sent out from other windows PCs trying to find out info on other windows systems on the network and not virus related as such (they are still a pain).

They are nothing to worry about if your firewall is blocking them - that is it's job!
N/A

Ports 445 and 139

139 is used by a lot of worms due to its insecurites and being open on all boxes, however it should be cut down due to PN blocking ur connection when u send data out on it.. maybe they should be more rigerouse?
Community Veteran

Ports 445 and 139

It's port 135 outgoing that is blocked not 139.
N/A

What is 445 for

So what is port 445 for? I locked it up and think it said SMB - what ever that is.
Althought the firewall is handling both, I would prefer to block at router level.
Will I loose anything by blocking them.
TIA
N/A

Ports 445 and 139

If you connect to MS services on the internet like Exchange server, then possibly. Otherwise no, there are very few risks, that are far outweighed by the benefits.

Even though you lose Exchange server capabilities, even Microsoft themselves recomend using VPN tunnels over which you can use Exchange server and other RPC based systems.

I would also block port 135 at the same time.