cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port 80

N/A

Port 80

If you install a Proxy Server and want to host your own website you are unable to use Ports 80 and 8080. So, how do Internet users reach your website without explicitly using the port number you used instead (e.g. Port 81)?
4 REPLIES
N/A

Port 80

if you are not running the server on port 80 then then url will have to be

www.site.comTongueORT (note the colon)

buz
N/A

Port 80

I know that. But I can't tell everyone out there using the Internet to use port 81, now can I?!! There must be a solution. I'm quite sure there are people with Proxy Servers and hosting their own websites.

What I mean is, is there any way of redirecting incoming HTTP requests (on port 80) to port 81 for example?Huh
N/A

Port 80

There are two solutuions

1: The easiest is to move the proxy server off port 80, to port 81, then use the webserver on port 80 as usual.

THis is by far the most compatible

2: Use frame forwarding on another website, so that it redirects the user to port 81 on your proper site.

Search engines don't like frames. Certainly not cross-domain frames.

There is no way to tell a user to use port 81, if they don't know that this is where the service actualy is. Port 80 is stall used by the proxy, so you can't display a page saying which port it is actualy on.

It is somewhat like telling somebody to visit you in a block of flats, but not telling them the flat number.
N/A

Port 80

I wasn't aware that you could force a Proxy Server to use any port other than 80 (or 8080).

Quote from ISA Server Installation Manual:

"Set the IIS Server to listen on a port different than port 80, as ISA Server listens for inbound Web requests on that port"

EDIT: Apparently in ISA Server you can create Web Publishing Rules for accessing an internal Web Server - job done!