cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Popup Problems ? Have I got a hacker or just some software?

N/A

Hi, I don?t know if anyone could help me I have been having some problems with a certain type of pop ups, the same one has been coming up on each of the computers connected to the network, I have spoken to a few people and thy seem to think its a program running on my computer but why is it coming up on each computer and how do I stop it?! I have tried Ad-Aware Pro and Norton to kill them but with no success. I am very careful about what I download and the things I click on so I don?t know where I could have come from. Sad
Another thing is something is doing some weird things to my computer, sometimes the desktop will disappear, other times I loose the use of the task bar and the windows shrink into little windows at the bottom!
Can anyone help?

[Moderator's note (by Chris P.): Title changed from mostly capitals as this is akin to shouting as detailled in the Forum Guidelines]
5 REPLIES
glyndev
Grafter

As well as Adaware and Norton try a program called Spybot which picks up things that the other 2 dont.

You can get it at http://www.download.com and it is free.

But dont forget to check all the computers on the lan as it may not necessarily be your PC that is the culprit.

Also check your firewall settings as they could have let something or someone through.
N/A

check the obviouse places for things to start in

start ->run ->msconfig

goto the startup tab and look down it

start -> run ->regedit

goto

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

and see if there is ne thing odd in there if so delite it
N/A

Hello, buzzons. Perhaps, apart from the excellent Spybot, you could also try running:

i) the trial version of TDS-3 (anti-trojan) or of Trojan Hunter

ii) online virus scanners such as Trend Micro's Housecall one

iii) the trial version of Kaspersky Antivirus (I've used Norton AV for about 2 years, but was impressed that KAV spotted a trojan-style file in a 'leaktest' file that I'd saved, whereas NAV didn't).

Sorry, but as I'm at work, I can't take time out to enclose the relevant URLs, but you can google these, if you think that they might help.

Hope that this helps.
Community Veteran

See General: Essential Security software for links to all the above.
N/A

Another thing you can do assuming you are on 2000 or XP is disable the messenger service,

To do this, go to the run box in the Start menu and type in services.msc
Scroll down to it, right click it and choose stop. Right click it again and go to properties. Go to the second tab (logon?) and change the start up type to disabled.