cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pointing to my own ftp server

lingbob
Grafter

I have my own domain hosted by PlusNet and I'm not too sure how to point it at my own ftp server. In the domain names setup for my own doamin, would the following work:

Left field: ftp
Type: A
Right field: my IP address

--
Martin
6 REPLIES
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Aslong as you configure your own end to direct ftp.* to your FTP server then yes, it will work.

However, so will;

Hostname: [your domain name]
Port: 21

Worked for me for years Smiley
N/A

Ahh Steve, I think the OP is refering to a FTP server located at home. Which then would require the A record entry so that it doesnt look ont he plusnet servers but at his home IP instead.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

hehe, so was I ........

My FTP server (on my home network) can be accessed remotely by specifying the domain name (mysteryfcm.co.uk) and the port .......
N/A

I thought the domain was pointing at the plusnet servers for you?
Or have you simply told the records that port 21 is to go to your ip?

Me personally I havent had to do this as I host almost everything from home anyway. The only thing or change I needed to do was change my domain to SMTP delivery in the domain settings so that the plusnet servers acted as a backup mail server for me in case anything should happen.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

I didn't need to specify anything specific for FTP as my domain points to my IP anyway. Only thing I need to specify, as was in your case, was the SMTP. Smiley

N/A

Ahh I follow now lol. There I was thinking your domain was pointing to plusnets nameservers and simply pointed to your IP out of the bix.

What you did though was change the records to point to your ip. Yer all I did was change the name servers on my domain then change to SMTP redirect. I use this domain for emails only. All other domains I use a number of free DNS sites to point to my IP for everything else.