cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plustalk with Billion 7402VGP (v 5.07) - advice please

medea
Grafter

I am trying to set up a Plustalk profile from Voip wizard.

1. Please could somebody advise what I should enter for:

User domain/realm...............
Authentication user name.............
Display name..........

my sip address is: sip:plustalk@username.plus.com

2. Do I need to enable a PTSN dial plan? My DECT phone connected to analogue 1 with line connection to enable FXO works normally at present.

3. Do I need to do anything about a Voip dial plan?

4. Can I disable the Plustalk voicemail option?

All contributions gratefully received. Thanks.
19 REPLIES
medea
Grafter

Plustalk with Billion 7402VGP (v 5.07) - update

Obviously not many Plustalk users with a "Billion" router!

Good news, the set up is easy:

Connect ADSL, Line and Phone cables correctly (see diagram in the manual).
Enter router configuration (just as you would to configure ADSL) and go to VoIP Wizard.
Select user defined profiles, then create a Plustalk profile by making the following entries:

Profile name: Plustalk
Registrar address: 84.92.0.76
(note that entering sip.plus.net doesn't seem to work)
Registrar port: 5060
Expire: 3600
Outbound proxy port: 5060
Phone number: ###### (from Plusnet account details)
Authentication password: ********

Other details seem to be surplus to requirements

Apply, then
Return to Wizard
Select profile for Plustalk for Phone Port 1 (or 2 presumably)
Apply
In General Settings, enable SIP Device parameters and set to UK
Apply
Check settings for Phone Port 1 and press Sync Now

Now check on Phone Port menu that Plustalk is "registered" and that VoIP light on router is lit up.

If everything looks OK then follow the normal procedure to save the configuration and then restart.

Test your connection by dialling 7000.

You should now be able to make outgoing calls using Plustalk. If you are successful these will show up in your Broadband Phone Account. The person receiving you call will not know who you are because Caller ID does not work.

Note that your PSTN connection will not work unless you configure a dialup prefix to switch mode from VoIP to PSTN
(I haven't got this sorted out yet) or there is a problem that causes the router to default to FXO mode.

No experience yet of incoming calls. Remember you will have configured a VoIP phone that does not ring if a PSTN call is received and such calls don't trigger Caller ID in.

Hope that this note is of some help. It is easier that it appears to be when you start out!
medea
Grafter

A little more progress. Router seems to work well and is stable.

Calls possible with Plustalk in both VoIP and PSTN modes.

Simple PSTN Dialup Plan makes PSTN calls straightforward. These calls trigger a relay and cause Phone 1 light on the router to flash. Calls sent display caller id to the receiver; calls received fail to make the handset ring and caller id is not displayed, reason for this is not known.

VoIP Dialup Plans seem rather more complicated. A manual can be found on the Australian Forum at: http://www.billion.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=7300

Advice would be welcome.
N/A

Re: Plustalk with Billion 7402VGP (v 5.07) - advice please

calls received fail to make the handset ring and caller id is not displayed, reason for this is not known

Here in the UK, the CLI signal is sent at the very start of the ring. I presume it takes a few seconds for the billion to switch over to PSTN?

I don't believe there's any way around this. I've had this same issue with every VoIP adaptor I've tried because the hardware is designed for use in America (where the CLI signal is present for the whole duration of the ring)
medea
Grafter

Thanks for your interest.

Discussion on the Australian forum suggests that some problems with ring tones and caller id can be solved by adjusting the ON hook and OFF hook voltages. What do you think?

Billion has a built in checker of these plus a hint page, accessible from General settings, advanced; I have adjusted the voltages to those suggested that match the handset in use - ON hook from default of 18 to 48 and OFF hook from 4 to 10. Does anybody know if these voltages are likely to be right for a BT line? I will report back on any change in performance.
N/A

is that in volts? The ring voltage here in the UK (presumably on hook) is ~50 volts.

I'd only be concerned at the ON hook voltage at this stage - but is it safe to play around? I'd be interested to hear how you get on - I'm (still) looking for an ATA that will support the CLID on the PSTN.
medea
Grafter

Yes the ONhook and OFFhook numbers are in volts.

I have now set up a standard BT handset (BT Duet) on Phone Port 1 and moved the Panasonic DECT phone (base station + 2 handsets) to Phone Port 2. I have adjusted the voltages on to Hohook 48 volts and OFFhook 9 volts.

The BT handset rings normally with a PSTN call, doesn't have a facility for caller ID, switches to VoIP within 5 seconds of the phone being answered but switches back to PSTN in response to a hook flash which allows the call to be answered normally.

The Panasonic response is unchanged. No ring and no caller ID display in response to incoming PSTN call and switching using the Recall button to perform a hook flash is unreliable.

At present Billion works very well for outgoing calls (VoIP & PSTN) with standard handset or dect. For incoming calls the Billion is supposed to identify PSTN calls and switch the hard relay; the standard handset seems to need some fine tuning to deliver the required performance but the dect setup isn't very promising. These findings are consistent with those reported on the Australian forum. As a next step, I am going to my line-in set up. Billion regularly release upgrades, I note that 5.08 beta is available, so I am hoping to solve the incoming PSTN call difficulties in time.

PS Billion UK forum is hopeless.
N/A

Cheers for that..

Keep us posted.
N/A

Thanks Roger.

I too have a 7402VGP router and with your advice have finally managed to set it up (al least) to make outgoing calls (both with VOIP and PSTN). Previously I have had problems which could have been (as you suggest) that entering sip.plus.net doesn't seem to work. I don't have caller ID on my BT line so I can't experiment with that but I will now investigate incoming calls.

One strange thing is that I don't have the option to set up User-defined profiles. The option is just not there. I have seen where it is 'supposed' to be in the manual - next to the Apply/Cancel buttons on the VOIP Wizard screen. Odd. I entered the required settings under General Settings (without a profile name). I have software 5.07 F2S.

Generally I am very pleased with the router and would recommend it to others.

Dave
medea
Grafter

Was going to report that everything is working normally apart from caller ID on the dect phone. Incoming PSTN calls are correctly triggering the router to switch to PSTN mode on both ports (standard and dect phones) Unfortunately I have been unable to make outgoing PSTN calls for the last 6+ hours!

Dave, I don't understand why you are unable to see the access point for VoIP User-defined Profiles on the VoIP Wizard page which you have correctly located. My software is identified as plain v5.07 on General settings page and as far as I can remeber I downloaded this version Annex A from the main Billion site. The UK site which seems to be poor is still showing v5.06e as the latest version.
N/A

I have a Billion 7402VGP and suffer continious XDSL sync errors. I have tried all the usual fault tracking excercises without success.
I have plugged in a Netgear and this is stable.

Anybody have any clues?

VOIP and PSTN have worked fine.

Terry
medea
Grafter

Terry

I suspect that you are describing a situation in which the Netgear router is just better able to cope with an unstable adsl connection than the Billion. Such connections are often potentially faster but get frequent loss of sync to the exchange.

I suggest that you look at the extensive information on www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/ particularly that to do with SNR problems. This might point to a way forward and help you ask the right questions of CS.

My Billion is very stable but I have a standard 2 MBps connection (not Maxdsl or Tiscali LLU) with a downstream SNR of 22dB.

Good luck
N/A

Thanks rogerowalters

My connection was stable prior to MaxDSL so your description is valid. I assume if the problem is not correctable I will need to look at an alternative router, not many around with the same feature set.
medea
Grafter

Terry

I don't think that you should conclude that the ?problem with the Billion is uncorrectable.

I suggest that you check the version of firmware installed; you can find this on the router status page. The latest available version is v5.07 (Annex A) and if you have not got this version it can be downloaded and installed without too much hassle.

If you have got v5.07, then you might like to look at information at www.billion.com.au/forums/ about v5.08 beta. There is a suggestion that this version of the firmware may help the handling of frequent disconnections and variable speeds. If you don't want to risk the beta version, which seems only to be available in Oz, then you might want to try again when v.5.08 is released.

Good luck.
N/A

I have installed v5.08 beta (~2 weeks ago) and everything is still working fine.