cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plustalk, line drops as soon as connected.

clatz
Grafter

I am experiencing a strange problem with PlusTalk. Each time I dial a number I manage to make a connection but line drops immediately when the other end answers. No error messages, just 'Hung Up'

I even turned off my Firewall for a time to see if that would make any difference, it didn't.

This facility was working fine a week ago when I last used it.

An additional clue is that I have also noticed that the calls are appearing under 'UK Landline', rather than under 'included minutes'.

I have raised a ticket, but am mentioning it here too in case someone has also experienced this problem.

I updated my software to X-Lite v3 (on the advice of the Support staff), but still no difference.

I have ports
UDP 3478 - STUN
UDP 5060 - SIP
UDP 8000 - Xlite RTP
UDP 8001 - Xlite RTP
open.

I am using a Belkin F5D7630-4A Router with up to date firmware

Any ideas folks?
7 REPLIES
N/A

I had the same issue with the same belkin router.

You mention you disabled the firewall - was this on the router or a software firewall. Check your router security log, is there something like "UDP DoS" or something in the log?

I logged a fault/question with belkin without answer, but a google on voip and udp DoS brings back loads of hits Sad

I found a 'hidden' setup page where I disabled doS protection and SPI (sorry can't find the link right now). This solved the hanging up on answer. But I wasn't convinced about removing this protection form my router.

Also tried giving PC a static IP and port forwarding the relevent ports - this worked to a point, but calls still hung up (after 10mins) this time.

Eventually grabbed a cheapish safecom router with quality of service built in etc. touch wood this is working great. And I think its a better router all round.
clatz
Grafter

mmm, interesting. Do you mean possibly mean UPnP? (which I have disabled)

Funny thing is that I have had PlusTalk working fine for a month and I haven't changed anything.

I do have a spare router, so tomorrow I will give that a go and see if it works.

I don't like the idea of disabling security features, the Belkin is pretty good in that area. I think if I had to choose between good security and VoIP the Security would win hands down every time.

Thanks for the reply.
clatz
Grafter

I found a 'hidden' setup page where I disabled doS protection and SPI (sorry can't find the link right now). This solved the hanging up on answer. But I wasn't convinced about removing this protection form my router.

I think I found the page you mentioned,

http://192.168.2.1/firewall_spi_h.stm
clatz
Grafter

I have tested my Plustalk again this morning and it is now working as it should. As nothing at all has changed my end since the testing I did late yesterday, it tends to suggest that something was wrong at PlusNet's end?

I also now note that the calls I have made today correctly show up in 'Included Minutes' .

mmmmmm?
N/A

you've not happened to restart your router have you? This was the only 'cure' I had on the belkin in the beginning as it seemed to clear things out.

Hopefully it was something at +net and your rolling now Smiley
N/A

forgot, no I did mean UDP not UPNP. did anything show in the security log on the router?

Mark
clatz
Grafter

Hi Mark,
I checked the security log and there wasn't anything in it (other than the normal messages)

I tried restarting the router & PC many times yesterday, but nothing cleared the problem, but as you see, overnight the problem mysteriously disappeared!

I had left the router on since my last failed test late yesterday, so it had to be something their end. Who knows!

Funny how that seems to happen quite often with 'Plusnet' problems, they just 'go away'.

What is annoying is all the hoops they make you jump through to get anywhere. I work in an IT support department and my users would lynch me if I made them go through the same processes we have to.

I guess Plusnet has just grown too large to offer the personal service they used to give.

Still nothing back on my ticket yet.