cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plustalk adapter options/alternatives?

loony
Grafter

ok so i want plustalk anytime but, i dont want to buy a plusnet voip phone adapter @?70, what are the (cheaper) alternatives?

i am currnetly signed up with vonage and have the linksys adapter they supplied.

RT31P2-VU
15 REPLIES
loony
Grafter

has anyone got one of these working with plustalk?
http://www.safecom.cn/code/sub/category.asp?prdid=129&subcatid=24
LiamM
Grafter

Technically it should work... as it is SIP compatible... but in practice it could be different.

Do you use ebay at all? If so, search for a Cisco ATA 186. Got mine working with Plustalk today. Very happy with it... and not very expensive either.
loony
Grafter

thanks, ive just found this on the safecom site but no where to buy
SFXS-ATA151
http://www.safecom.cn/code/sub/category.asp?prdid=286&subcatid=24

will keep an eye on the ebay cisco's thanks
N/A

The Cisco units are very good, but don't automatically overlook the Linksys (Cisco) PAP2-EU units available through www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk for around £40.

Got mine last week and it took about 5 minutes to get working.

Very configurable too.
loony
Grafter

thats intersting and a nice price,
the adapter they mention http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=2370&CategoryID=84&ShopGroupID=40

is that needed if i already have RJ11 to RJ11 cables?
N/A

Looks like you will. One for each phone socket of the adapter. Looks like it's the ring capacitor which is important here, as otherwise you could call out, but your phone wouldn't ring when recieving an incoming call.
They seem to be out of stock at the moment.
I'm interested in this setup too.
Would like to know what sort of number I would get from Plusnet.
N/A

Plusnet only seem to give "local rate" numbers. Mine is an 0845 number. I would have preferred a London number - 0207 or 0208.

I gather that providing an 0845 number allow Plusnet to generate revenue off the incoming calls. I guess if you are a PAYG customer, who doesn't make outbound calls - it is their only way to make money. Fair enough I guess.
N/A

Looks like that about sums it up Scott.
I filed a ticket, and got this reply.

It is a 0845 number you will receive and you will be charged extra for dialling 0845 numbers from Plustalk, however calls from Plustalk to Plustalk are free

Regards,

Mike Trevor
N/A

If someone calls me from landline to my plustalk telephone number (0845) will they be charged at a local rate or higher?
N/A

Local rate, as far as I can make out. Applies to all 0845 numbers. I'm on BToption 3 at the moment, and it guts me to still have to pay for so many calls still.
N/A

It is a 0845 number you will receive and you will be charged extra for dialling 0845 numbers from Plustalk, however calls from Plustalk to Plustalk are free

So if landlines call me on PlusNet via my 0845 number they will be charged at local rate but if I dial an 0845 number then PlusNet will charge me more than local rate?
N/A

No m8. You'll be charged local rate, over & above your monthly/yearly subscription.
N/A

What are PlusNet talking about when they replied to you stating that 'you will be charged extra for dialing 0845 numbers from Plustalk' ... i'm now under the impression that if I dial an 0845 from Plustalk then I will be charged over and above local rate?
N/A

Not to my understanding. You can take an option, much like BT Option3, where you pay a set amount per month/year, and make as many UK landline calls as you wish, at no extra charge, but you will be charged local rate for any 0845 numbers you ring.

Do a Google on non geographic numbers.