cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnets Silly Usage Limits

N/A

Plusnet are going to sink because of their silly usage limits some clever person thought up. 15Gb is clearly not enough for anyone from what I've seen in forum and from my personal experience. I have a 15Gig peak time usage limit on my 2mb Premier Account .

I remember 1st signing up to plusnet i had no problems with any usage limits, to be honest i never even knew they existed until now when my connection has been restricted because I've hit over 10gig and to be honest i have not downloaded more than i normally would its a bit scammy if you ask me. Shocked

With 8 Meg broadband being activated soon 15Gig is nothing, I bet i could easily download 15Gig in 2 days without realising, Do plusnet Realise by Increasing peoples speeds that they might want to increase the usage limit or is this a Big Scam another clever person at the office thought up :roll:

Now as plusnet do not give one toss i have been looking at some new ISP's

http://www.eclipse.net.uk I find quite appealing
http://www.ace-internet.co.uk Is a clear winner with the forum members.
I may even go Bulldog 2meg but to be honest i would prefer a 8meg connection.

Another thing im finding with these ISP's they can provide me 8Meg right now and i wouldn't have to wait for Plusnet to organise themselves to enabling my account my Exchange is enabled right now but Plusnet are so unorganised its sad.

In fact i really don't know why im still with plusnet when i can obviously find a much better deal somewhere else and they don't have clever people thinking up Super Great Scammy Ideas like plusnet have sitting in their offices doing what they call these days as "Work" Tongue

Anyone else have a problem with usage limits on this isp or is it just me ?
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Plusnets Silly Usage Limits

Plusnet are going to sink because of their silly usage limits some clever person thought up. 15Gb is clearly not enough for anyone from what I've seen in forum and from my personal experience. I have a 15Gig peak time usage limit on my 2mb Premier Account .

The actual usage figures published here sugest 15GB is more than adequate for over 90% of users. Also remember the figures quoted are for the full 24 hour period so a peak-time figure of 15GB most likely covers upto 98% of all users on average.

I remember 1st signing up to plusnet i had no problems with any usage limits, to be honest i never even knew they existed until now when my connection has been restricted because I've hit over 10gig and to be honest i have not downloaded more than i normally would its a bit scammy if you ask me. Shocked

Dowenloading costs the ISP money and due to BTs high pricese for connecting into their network, limits have to be imposed so everyone gets a fair share of the bandwidth. Times have changed meaning traffic management and limits are the future - just look at all the 'unlimited' ISPs that are now implementing traffic shaping.

With 8 Meg broadband being activated soon 15Gig is nothing, I bet i could easily download 15Gig in 2 days without realising, Do plusnet Realise by Increasing peoples speeds that they might want to increase the usage limit or is this a Big Scam another clever person at the office thought up :roll:

A faster internet connection does not automatically mean more data being downloaded for the majority of users. There are some, like you, that use your connection a lot more than others and as a result limits had to be imposed so the heavy downloaders did not hog the bandwidth and slow everyone else down. PN do not have download limits outside of peak hours so with just a small amount of changes it is possible to download lots of data without hitting the peak-time limits.

Now as plusnet do not give one toss i have been looking at some new ISP's

That is your choice, however, with over 200,000 ADSL customers now, many customers are happy with the service they get.

Another thing im finding with these ISP's they can provide me 8Meg right now and i wouldn't have to wait for Plusnet to organise themselves to enabling my account my Exchange is enabled right now but Plusnet are so unorganised its sad.

It has nothing to do with being unorganised. Other ISPs are not upgrading the same number of lines as PlusNet are (or were) and as a result, BT imposed limits on how many lines an ISP could upgrade each week. PN would have liked to have put an upgrade order in for every line but BT would not let them. For other ISPs, they put upgrade orders in on a request basis so can upgrade lines quicker than PlusNet (This is actually how PN will be operating from now on according to the latest announcement), so you can't blame PN for limits imposed by BT (which PN did not know about until April).

In fact i really don't know why im still with plusnet when i can obviously find a much better deal somewhere else and they don't have clever people thinking up Super Great Scammy Ideas like plusnet have sitting in their offices doing what they call these days as "Work" Tongue

I guess you have never worked for an ISP before? PN have a large number of people whos sole purpose is to allow you to use your internet connection any way you want. The fact that you have no idea what goes on in PlusNet land makes the above comment even more farsicle then it already is.

Anyone else have a problem with usage limits on this isp or is it just me ?

I guess its just you. Wink

It is very easy to utilise your line to download 10s of GBs of data, just do it off-peak.
N/A

Thanks for a detailed reply.
I just one question how can other providers manage with a 50Gig Peak time limit and plusnet can't and keep in mind they can provide packages with roughly same price.

And probably most of my problems are because of BT

Oh I can't wait for cable to come in my area Sad

Cable is the future Tongue
Community Veteran

Several ways:

1) They have alternative income streams (other areas of the company subsidise the ISP side)
2) They rely on AUPs to limit what people can download and kick of those who exceed them. Some do it even before you reach their advertised limits.
3) They run at a loss and hope they don't get too many people reaching those limits - i.e. the low usage users subsidise the high usage users. Some ISPs have gone under or been taken over recently with this type of setup.
4) They use alternate networks i.e. LLU, which are cheaper so an ISP can allow higher allowances.

Also remember a lot of ISPs have a total usage allowance rather than just peak time. While PNs peak time allowances are lower than some, they don't have any restrictions off-peak, subject to you not going completely over the top i.e 100 -> 150GB/month is probably OK but 400 -> 500GB will not be.

For BT IPstream products, it costs approx £1 to allow 1 GB of data to travel over the BT centrals.
Community Veteran

Oh I can't wait for cable to come in my area Sad

Cable is the future Tongue

Oh dear, you don't know much about cable suppliers either, do you. Wink

contention, contention, contention, high costs etc etc.
N/A

I just one question how can other providers manage with a 50Gig Peak time

Simply by declaring peaktime as most of the day:Nidram states that regarding their Fair Use Policy

'Fair Use' policy with a 50GB per month Peak Time transfer allowance - this applies to data transferred between the hours of 8am and Midnight, seven days a week.
FooAtari
Grafter

Is it not ACE that operate the higher paying cutomers get priority over the lower paying customers when sharing bandwidth.

Meaning that you need to fork out £30 to make sure you have a consitently fast connection...
N/A

Ace Internet is the one which has just "come a cropper" because Mistral has had to do some traffic calming because of heavy peer-to-peer levels.

You might be thinking about Eclipse where they do have higher priority for those paying 29.99 (and a higher peak hours limit too), compared with their lowest level "Evolution 1" account costing 14.99 with a 20 GB "peak hours" limit.

Peak hours are from 1800 to midnight on Eclipse Evolution.

In theory, those on Evolution 1 might not get much done during the evening but in practice it depends whether you are watching the download speed all the time...

Using audio streams and using the web has not suffered, IMO, but there's no graph or stats from Eclipse to show details of daytime and peak-time traffic so it isn't too easy to show it works as well as the past 4 years with various other ISPs!