cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet hosting my domain

N/A

This is very complicated for me to explain
I have the Registered domain name of dosch-uk.com which was hosted on a friends site (noize.plus.com) This was redirected to dosch.plus.com when I got my own Plusnet account.
dosch-uk.com was later moved to be hosted on dosch.plus.com (my personal webspace)
Since being moved (over a year ago) search engines find both URLs as if there are 2 identical sites. Even when I change page content, titles, even urls, the dosch.plus.com address seems to take prefference on some search engines.
I have one, and only one htdocs folder, and all the web pages point to dosch-uk.com, as far as I'm aware, nobody links to dosch.plus.com
Why is this happening ?
Totaly lost.
Dosch
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I can only suggest that you put the files for your domain in a seperate folder within the htdocs one and then goto the Domain name options and change where the domain points to i.e. to the new folder within htdocs.

This should eventualy educate the engines that its not available under your username.plus.com

This is how I have my Model Railway domain set up, in a folder called hmrg within htdocs.
N/A

Thanks for that but ---

Would I have to keep all the identical pages in the htdocs folder, so as to avoid not found messages for people who find us at plus.com
Would that not make it look as if I was running 2 identical sites in order to improve search results. (it probably looks a bit that way now, and I don't want to risk getting dropped altogether)
At the moment, a search for dosch on google returns our index page dosch-uk.com (first page) - fine, but the same search on Yahoo finds the index page as plus.com (first page)
Search for dosch blues band for instance, on Yahoo, finds dosch.plus .com and an older version of the same page at dosch-uk.com. It's been like this for about a year.
I have more concerns, but I'll restrict it to these so far.
Community Veteran

You're just going to bite the bullet and keep one copy of all the files for the site in the one folder within htdocs. This is the only way to stop the search engines from seeing the site via the two routes i.e. domain name and username.

What I would suggest is that you just put a simple index page in the htdocs folder telling people that the site has a different url.

You could even make this page auto redirect to the domain after a number of seconds.
N/A

Yes I see what you mean
Sounds good
I've got a friend who can help me follow your suggestions, (I'm not quite brave enough to fly solo yet). I'll get him on it soon
I'll let you know how it goes in a few weeks
Many thanks