cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet 'attackers' stopped by my firewall??

stewarta13wsb
Grafter

I remember reading something about this somewhere, but can't find it now so sorry if this has been asked before -

My McAfe Firewall keeps reporting plusnet addresses as being blocked from various attempts on various ports - why are there so many?

About 25 today (usually several from each name)

Some of them sound like normal 'family' type names and some are obviously the person's full name (as opposed to weirdo hacker sounding types :lol: )

So what / why etc?
6 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

This is a fairly common occurrance.

Firstly, you have nothing to worry about. \your firewall is doing its job.

The traffic is most likely coming from users systems infected with virus's. Quite probably most are unaware of the infection.

The reason you see mostly plus net users is that plus net block most attacks on their borders hence most of what is getting in is from within the network.

The only way we will see this reducing is by more education of PC owners and making them wake up to the necessity of good system security.

As I said you dont have anything to worry about.

If hoverer you get multiple hits from the same address you may want to edit your firewall logs showing only the info from the suspected atacker and forward them to abuse@plus.net for their action.

Regards

mark
N/A

To be honest, I wouldn't worry unless you get 100's of attacks a second. As already mentioned it's caused by peeps machines who are infected with a virus and probably don't have a firewall either.

You can e-mail the plus net abuse account, but sadly from experience it doesn't really stop them, since many of them don't check their default e-mail accounts which is where Plus Net will post to.

Aaron
martinrowe
Grafter

I have had 8 of these PlusNet attacks today.

I use BlackICE as my firewall. It seems quite good.
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

I still get them too - sometimes as many as 20 odd from the same address - I usually send an email to their postmaster@ address to let them know they may have a virus.
Sometimes I've had a reply, even a couple of thankyou's, but mostly nothing. I just tell the firewall to block the address and 'it's gone' Cheesy
N/A

black ice is poooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooor

sygate and / or look and stop are both far far better and worth it

buz
martinrowe
Grafter

Good review of BlackIce here: http://www.compulink.co.uk/~davedorn/reviews/soft/utilities/blackiceprotector.htm

Why do you think it is poor ?
I had ZoneAlarm Pro but when I tried reinstalling it one day it wouldnt do it because I have F-Secure Anti Virus installed. So I got BlackIce.