cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Virus Messages

N/A

Plusnet Virus Messages

I keep getting virus messages, but when i use the virus scanner that plusnet tells me to it tells me that i have no viruses. Also, after the first virus message it allows me to use the internet as normal.

Does this mean I have a virus or not?

And if the answer is yes, where can I find a better virus scanner in order to find the virus?
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Plusnet Virus Messages

You may not have a virus but have some software that is trying to use one of the ports that PlusNet have blocked. (can't off hand remember the 2 numbers).
These ports are the ones that some viruses use to perpetuate themselves so PlusNet are issuing the message if your machine tries to connect with these ports.

Are you running any Peer to Peer software?
N/A

Plusnet Virus Messages

Ports 135 and 445 are blocked by Plus Net due to viral activity.
Community Veteran

Plusnet Virus Messages

If you have a firewall (software or hardware) block those 2 ports and see if the problem occurs again.
N/A

Plusnet Virus Messages

Are you running any Peer to Peer software?

i use winmx quite regularly to download music, could that be causing it? but i get the message everytime i use the internet, even if im not using winmx
Community Veteran

Plusnet Virus Messages

I'd like to be able to turn these warnings off, in work we have two sites which transmit data from Ipaqs to a main server via ADSL, the warnings have caused problems for other things on occasion.
I'll see if I can find a way to block the ports at the routers, the Ipaqs cant have a software firewall.

Chris
Community Veteran

Plusnet Virus Messages

WinMx shouln't cause the warning.
Have you checked for spyware on your machine. If not download Ad-aware and Spybot which yo can run to search and destroy any Spyware that you have inadvertently collected.

See the Tutorial on Security for details of these programs.