cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusTalk - what are the advantages?

ihc77
Dabbler

I looked into activating my PlusTalk account because they have offered free £5 of credit.
However, the call rates seem to be higher than 1899.com, whom I already use. I have a laptop, and the main benefit to me of VOIP would be to make phone calls from hotels, especially abroad, and avoid their high phone charges. However, I see that you can only use PlusCall when connected to the internet via PlusNet. This basically restricts it to people who only use it from one place, doesn't it?

So I have just enrolled with www.sipdiscount.com
who offer a restricted free trial, and whose rates also seem to undercut PlusCall. It worked when I set it up, and I believe that I can now use it anywhere in the world that I might log on.

So, why would I use PlusCall? Are there any advanteages that I have missed?
10 REPLIES
N/A

The only advantage I can think of is that you get a number for incoming calls on PlusTalk. You may also find that the speech quality is not quite as good on SIPDiscount.

Tim
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

Whilst its true that you do need an ADSL account with ourselves in order to sign up for a PlusTalk account, you can use it from other connections. I know that it works from a Blueyonder connection, so it should work from any other ISPs connection as well.
N/A

Hi,

Whilst its true that you do need an ADSL account with ourselves in order to sign up for a PlusTalk account, you can use it from other connections. I know that it works from a Blueyonder connection, so it should work from any other ISPs connection as well.

The only reason I can think of is for the better customer support you may receive from PlusTalk if you are having trouble setting up the ATA...don't expect any from www.sipdiscount.com as this is how they can undercut other providers i.e. by giving you a service that works plain and simple but has no customer support. It works fine for me though and the quality has always been top class as long as you aren't downloading any P2P!

Think of it in terms of why anyone used to pay for AOL whenever all the free PAYG dial-up alternatives did exactly the same job (before all the unmetered dial-up services became affordable).
N/A

The advantage for me is i pay only £4-99 pm and get all my regular landline calls free. My phone calls used to be over £30 pm with my landline phone provider.
ihc77
Dabbler

Jon,

Thanks very much for putting me right about using PlusCall from anywhere with a broadband connection. Under Product Details it says:

" AvailabilityPlusTalk is available to all residential PlusNet broadband customers "

and I misread this as meaning that it could only be used from this connection. Perhaps the mobility feature should be stressed somewhere, especially for the non-techies like me.

The other advantage of VOIP is that it does give you a second phone line, so two people can use them at once. I think I shall try setting up PlusCall after all.

The cost of phone calls is no longer an issue for me, as my landline calls are so cheap with 1899 ( my international calls from my mobile when I'm in the UK are also much cheaper with them). I sometimes have to take part in conference calls to the USA which last up to 2 hours. I see that PlusCall terminates the call after one hour, which would be inconvenient. Also, having the landline in several rooms around the house is more convenient than having to have the router always on, so I doubt I would be using VOIP for incoming calls for the forseeable future.

Thanks again,

Danny
N/A

The advantage for me is i pay only £4-99 pm and get all my regular landline calls free. My phone calls used to be over £30 pm with my landline phone provider.

But I pay £0-00 per month and still get all landline calls free in UK and also many other countries like USA with www.sipdiscount.com!
N/A

But I pay £0-00 per month and still get all landline calls free in UK and also many other countries like USA with www.sipdiscount.com!

Its a free trial, the free calls are only for 1 minute each. Everything else costs including the sign up to get the free trial.
N/A

Its a free trial, the free calls are only for 1 minute each. Everything else costs including the sign up to get the free trial.

You have to buy 5 euros of credit to get unlimited free UK calls, which is cheaper than PlusTalk.

Tim
N/A

Yes, the free trial calls are only one minute. If you sign up however with just 5 euro credit (paypal would be best to use), the calls are completely free and unlimited to any landline in UK, Rep. of Ireland, United States, and many many others!
N/A

Using BT, I have to end a call just before the hour is up otherwise you get charged. Is this the same with PlusTalk (assuming "anytime" option) ?