Did you mean: 

PlusTalk vs Skype

N/A

PlusTalk vs Skype

So with PlusTalk I get:

One SIP address
Free calls to compatible SIP accounts
Can be used only at my house over PlusNet Broadband
Calls to Europe landlines "from" 2.5p/min (My main interest)
Competant Linux implemantation

With Skype:
As many Skype addresses as I like
Free calls to other Skype users
Works over any (broadband) Internet connection anywhere in the world
Calls to Europe/USA/Aus landlines all 1.15p/min
2nd class Linux implementation

So where's the killer reason for using PlusTalk?
7 REPLIES
N/A

PlusTalk vs Skype

Sorry but know too much about Skype (hopefully someone can highlight the pitfalls) but PlusTalk Unlimited is £4.99 per month to 01/02 numbers anytime and about 15p per min mobiles. Is Skype cheaper than that?

Had a look at vonage and thats £9.99 per month free landlines and x amount for mobiles (but had a setup fee).

I see your point on PlusTalk PAYG vs Skype but need some more details on free landlines anytime.

Billy
N/A

PlusTalk vs Skype

The argument should not be PlusTalk vs. Skype but Skype vs. SIP.

Skype is a proprietary "closed" system and while it offeres incoming and outgoing PSTN calls there is currently no scope for compatibility with any of the SIP providers (i.e. Plustalk) and hence you will only be able to call other Skype providers for free. SIP on the other hand is an open protocol which is common to all SIP providers and hence cross-network calling for free has always been available on SIP.

The main problem with Skype in my opinion is that you need to have a PC running to use it - even with the various analogue adaptors that you can now get to interface skype to a normal phone you still need the PC to host the service. Also, while you can dial PSTN numbers directly with an analogue phone connected to a Skype box - how do you call Skype subscribers as they don't have a numberHuh This is something of a limitation as you can't just pick up the phone and dial - you have to click on the entry in your contact list. SIP on the other hand still allocates you a number which you can dial on a SIP phone and get straight through.

I have had a Grandstream SIP phone for over a year now. It connects directly to my router over Ethernet and does not require a PC to work. I have an incoming PSTN service and can call any SIP subscriber just by dialling their SIP number for free. No fiddling about with headsets or waiting for the PC to boot up to make or recieve a call.

So, my response to your argument would be that there is essentially no killer reason for plustalk specifically as there are many alternative providers but there is a clear case for chosing a SIP based service over Skype.
LiamM
Grafter

Re: PlusTalk vs Skype

Can be used only at my house over PlusNet Broadband

That's not true. You can connect to it from any BB connection AFAIK.
powernumpty
Grafter

PlusTalk vs Skype

One of the advantages (or disadvantages) of Skype is that it will get through firewalls without any port forwarding.
If I want to get somone up and running on Skype its simple but in the same respect it is a (business) security risk due to the file transfer ability.

With SIP I need to make sure the PC has a known IP address and forward ports.
The skype service is very efficient in use of bandwidth so for people getting started or in a trusted network then it has many advantages.

I'm not sure if the efficency is due to the number crunching ability of the PC and that is why there are few (if any) stand alone Skype hardware phones.
They must be in the pipeline.

Skype has got there and works very well, there are many reasons to use SIP but it takes a bit more thought and for a many it does offer that many (short term) adavantages.

I use both but just wish SIP was as numpty friendly as Skype.
LiamM
Grafter

PlusTalk vs Skype

FYI, I have no forwarded ports and my X-Lite software and my Cisco and Speedtouch ATAs both work fine.
powernumpty
Grafter

PlusTalk vs Skype

I have a sipgate account on a GXP-2000 with a linksys router and that works OK without port forwarding but the plusnet account that did work, does not now, no change in settings, SIP is just more fussy than Skype.
I assume a good router will pass a single(?) sip account without needing port forwarding but how does it fair with more than one?

Are both of yours on the same account and what sort of router (plug and play enabled?)
N/A

PlusTalk vs Skype

............SIP is just more fussy than Skype...............

Could that be because SIP has less security risks ?