cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusTalk Reliability (or lack of)

N/A

Last year I tried PlusTalk but gave up because of the lack of reliability.
Since then, changes to my line have given me a more stable connection so I thought I would give it another try.
It worked well for a while and then in the middle of a call we were cut off. This in itself is no major problem but the recipient of the call is left with an open line and unable to use their phone. This is unacceptable.
To recover, I have to disconnect from PlusNet and then reconnect.
For PlusTalk to be viable these problems have to be overcome.
Are there any plans to replace it with BT Broadband Talk?
I am sure this would be more reliable.
8 REPLIES
pacem
Grafter

The fault with the line being kept open is a "feature" of a standard BT land line. If the recipient of a call hangs up, BT will wait 2 minutes before passing the information on to the callers phone. PN just don't know that the recipient has hung up. The blame for that particular problem should fall directly at the feet of BT; all the mobile operators terminate calls as soon as either end hang up.

SIP is a telephony protocol developed by web programmers; it doesn't have the rigour of equivelent telephony engineered sinalling systems. If your SIP connection with PN drops there is little PN can do to know that you're no longer there. (There are invite messages and session timers, but *many* phones don't support this and if PN were to send these messages the may cause the call to drop, so all they can do is configure their system to check the call very infrequently.) On top of that SIP uses UDP and if there is insufficient traffic to the port it is using your router may assume the connection is closed and stop the NAT session for that port.

If you have a stable line and a good router you shouldn't get these problems, though I'm not saying it wasn't PN's fault that the connection dropped in the first place. I am aware that their VoIP service seems less reliable than many others - but you do get it for free.

Paul.<><
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

An overhaul of the Broadband Phone service is something we certainly want to do. There are a number of problems that mean that it isn't as good as we want it to be. At the moment though the development work isn't scheduled in, as soon as we know more then we will let you know.
N/A

I don't know how much this is down to old historical systems and equipment like strowger exchanges were the recipient could not clear the line down. They may have been legitimate reason why BT decided to have a 2 minute lag with later systems when these were going to mixed with older systems!!

Should be interesting whether this will still be the case with the new 21CN.
N/A

I am not talking about when the recipient hangs up.
The scenario is that the connection is cut and the recipent remains connected to a dead line. This is not for just 2 mins. In the past it has been for up to 2 hours but I now know the remedy which is to reboot the router.
It appears the connection from PN to recipient is maintained but the voice connection from me to PN is lost and using the phone I am unable to cancel the call.
I am pleased to hear improving PlusTalk is something PN want to do. I accept there is a low usage take-up but it's like the chicken and the egg. While it remains unreliable, it will have a low take-up.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 65

Evening all,

Pleased to report that we have taken the formal decision to fix the existing VoIP solution, install additional monitoring and ensure that it can managed/maintained operationally.

The work for this consist of 3 work streams which can run concurrently.
* Server upgrade
* VoIP end to end monitoring
* Provide resilience & failover

The Server upgrade stream starting as soon as resource can be allocated (may still be a while though).

Regarding BT Talk etc. We may still replace the platform with an alternative at some point in the future.

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

Good
Glad to hear PlusTalk is not entirely forgotten.
I have used it occasionally over the past couple of weeks without problems.
Fred
N/A

I guess I spoke too soon.
Just tried to make a call and there was no dialing tone. It may well have connected but it clearly wasn't working correctly.
Fred
fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

After a period of great reliability, the broadband 'phone service let us down today.

Available now, however, disappointing.

Regards....