cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusTalk Anytime (and +) vs BT

N/A

I see with interest that Plus are going to offer a full telephone service in July that will mean I no longer have to pay BT.

I've tried to find this info out for myslef but I could not.

What I would like to know is if "caller display" and an answer phone service (akin to 1571) are included in the default service (as they are with BT).

I think this info should definnately be displayed in the comparison table as these "value add" services are what usually distinguish BT from other providers.

BTW this is that table to which I refer http://portal.plus.net/features/promotions/landline_comparison.shtml
7 REPLIES
N/A

Re: PlusTalk Anytime (and +) vs BT

I see with interest that Plus are going to offer a full telephone service in July that will mean I no longer have to pay BT.

I haven't worked out the point in this service yet. They are giving you 240 inclusive minutes (i.e. the same as you already get with your Premier account) and want to charge 11 quid a month (i.e. the same as you pay BT). So from what I can see, it'll cost exactly the same as what you're paying now, the only differences are:

1. Your bill will come from PlusNet rather than from both PlusNet and BT (but will be the same as what you're currently paying so won't save any money)

2. You'll lose your POTS line and therefore won't be able to dial 999 or use it if PlusTalk breaks.

3. PlusTalk currently only gives you an 0845 number - if this doesn't change then it's going to be very expensive for people to call you.

In my experience, if you want people to switch you have to offer them something, and in this case you'll be paying the same for *less* service so I honestly can't see why anyone will take them up on this offer as it stands - am I missing something?
cwinters
Grafter

I don't read it as losing the POTS line. It'll move to Plusnet and keep 999 etc
N/A

yes you even keep the same number, as far as i can see its a full telephone system.

I guess calling it plustalk is confusing with the voip system having the same/similar name.
N/A

So I see in the FAQ that plusnet will be charging separatly for voicemail and caller ID (currently standard BT services)

From PlusTalk FAQ

33. What features can I add / will you offer?
There will be a selection of free, pay-per-use and pay monthly features including:

*3 way calling (pay-per-use)
Talk to 2 people at the same time, even if one of them is abroad.
*Reminder call (pay-per-use)
Set your phone for an alarm call.
*Ring back (pay-per-use)
Get a call back if the number you're dialling is engaged.
*1471 Last Caller Number (free)
Find the number of the last person to call you.
*1471 Call Return (free)
Give the last person to call you a ring.
*141 Number Withhold (free)
Keep your number secret from the person you're calling.
*1471 Erasure (free)
Clear the last number stored using 1471.
*Caller Display (pay monthly)
See who's calling before you answer the phone.
*Call Waiting (pay monthly)
Get an alert if somebody tries to call you when you're already on a call.
*Call Divert (pay monthly)
Divert your calls to any UK landline, mobile, and most international destinations.

This will certainly stop me from switching. And I guess a few people will get a shock at there reduced services if/when they transfer
N/A

So I see in the FAQ that plusnet will be charging separatly for voicemail and caller ID (currently standard BT services)

The lack of CLID would certainly prevent me from switching. But it's also not competetive against BT for me:

* The BT line rental is cheaper
* I make all my outbound calls via PlusTalk

So it actually doesn't matter what price their calls are - the fact that the line rental is more than BT is a stopper. If I had the choice I'd ditch my POTS line completely.
N/A

does anyone know how long you will be able to talk for before having to redial?
N/A

Caller ID is important for me - It is now free with BT so I will not change if I have to pay for it. Also I have just spent a lot of money on a new router and telephones for VoIP (Plustalk) and I am far from happy about the quality of audio. There also seems to be serious poblems with connecting calls. There has to be a lot of improvements in Plusnets ability to operate a reliable Telephone service before I switch. Just for the reference my Son uses Skype and I am amazed - No problems - Why Can't Plusnet offer the same level of quality?

Peter Laker
Bournemouth