cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus Talk deal any good?

N/A

Plus Talk deal any good?

Ok i have moved from Homecall to plus.net, i had to go back with BT (for my phone) for 3 months before i can move to another provider. What i would like to know is 1) Do plus.net take over the bill for my phone i.e line rental etc 2) will i have to wait the 3 months before starting to use Plus.net phone deal without BT charging me 3) Has anyone had any problems regarding billing/usage with this service (plus talk)?
I am a bit fed up of seeing what looks like a good deal then getting hit with unexpected bills. Any help much appreachated thanks.Gary
6 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Plus Talk deal any good?

Plustalk is not a traditional phone line service.

It is a method of making and receiving telephone calls over your broadband internet connection. You still need a telephone provider on your actual line.

I use both to compliment each other, and I can take it to and from work and use the same number. It means I can make calls whilst the main line is in use.

You can get a telephone adaptor and use a normal phone with PlusTalk and then simply disregard your usual line if you like.

The anytime and eves and weekend tarrifs over a certain amount of free minutes to landlines either anytime, or at eves and weekends. I find these particularly good value... and the rates for mobiles are very competetive. The international rates even more so.
N/A

Plus Talk deal any good?

Hi Gary,

To answer your 3 questions...

1) Do PlusNet take over the phone-line and bill? No. You'll still pay the rental to your phone line provider (BT). If you still use that line to make normal phone calls, they will till appear on the bill. You just pay PlusNet £2.99 or £4.99 a month from your credit card (if you stay within the inclusive minutes)

2) Will you have to wait 3 months? No, it's not relevant, as per above, you'll still have the line provided by your telecomms company. They way PlusTalk works is that it uses your broadband connection - converts your voice to digital and sends it down the work just like an email or any other computer data gets sent - in binary.

3) Had any problems? YES. Can be very poor quality - especially for the person you have phoned - they sometimes (often?) hear their own voic echoing back to them. So much so that they want to hang up. I haope this problem gets fixed soon coz it's a good deal and Plus Net are a good (great) service provider.

The contract is only monthly, can be cancelled at any time. Guess it's worth just trying it and see for yourself.

Re buying a phone converter and unplugging it from your phone for sole use with PlusTalk. This is not advised by Plus Net - the "terms and conditions" in the agreement say the service is not meant to replace a normal phone line.

Cheers,
Pete
LiamM
Grafter

Plus Talk deal any good?

Why isn't it advised? You are right, you shouldn't rely on Plustalk... but in the same way as you shouldn't rely on a cordless phone in case of a power cut.

I find it much easier using a Telephone Adaptor plugged into my router than the VOIP software. I can plug a normal phone into it and use it just like my phone line. However, in the event of an emergency, my normal line is functional and can be used. Also in the event of a power faliure.
JonathanW
Grafter

Plus Talk deal any good?

Hi,

One of the main reasons why it isn't advised to use PlusTalk to replace your regular telephone service is that you can't call 999 from the PlusTalk service, due to the fact that you don't have a geographic number that can be traced back to your location.
LiamM
Grafter

Plus Talk deal any good?

I agree, it's not advised to rely on it in an emergency or as a substitute from a normal line. But apart from that, I wouldn't advise against using a telephone adaptor for the convenience of it performing like a second line.
N/A

Plus Talk deal any good?

Cheers, this makes it clearer, i might just sign up after all to try it out. Thanks.
Gary