cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus Net's Security Package - worth having?

N/A

I realise that posting here may not always draw the most objective response, but I'll ask all the same!

I'm a fairly security conscious bloke and have fortunately never fallen victim to a virus nor suffer from excessive amounts of spam. My first line of defence is Firetrust's Mailwasher Pro, which I feel works well since it allows me to preview the mail before downloading it (though interestingly comes under some criticism here for the bouncing aspect).

I also have Firetrust's Benign running which strips out certain coding and attachments (be interested to read other peoples' opinions on this) followed by Norton Internet Security and Norton Anti Virus 2003. As a result of this, I feel quite well protected.

The PC I currently run is not exactly red-hot spec (P3 550, 256mb RAM etc) but it serves me ok for what I currently use it for. However, due to it's fairly low spec and the unlikely prospect I will upgrade it (see below) I am wondering whether I'd be better off with the Plus Net Security package rather than all the above mentioned software. How would the Security Package perform compared with Norton Internet Security, Mailwasher etc? Is it good enough for me to unload all my existing firewall/anti-virus/mailwasher software, thus freeing up system resources on this old timer?

My intention is to get myself an Apple G5 in the coming months (for video editing), but I want to keep this existing PC for general useage and messing about. I'd like to then get a router (currently using an ADSL PCI Modem) and share the connection between the Apple and this PC. Assuming I did go for the Plus Net Security Package, would having 2 computers class me as more than 1 user, since there's a big difference between £2.50 per month and £10!

I'd be really interested to hear the views/opinions of other users here.
5 REPLIES
N/A

65 reads and no replies?

How disappointing Sad
N/A

I have not used the PlusNet Security Package, so I cannot comment on its merits. You are obviously well covered from a security perspective, and an advantage of continuing to use the software you have is that you have full contol over what you block or allow.

Tim
Community Veteran

I too havent really used it and therefore won't comment too much, however you have to read through thier sales stuff and work out what you really get for it and decide whether it is worth £2.50 a month.

Chris
Stef
Grafter

I have not used the PlusNet Security Package, so I cannot comment on its merits. You are obviously well covered from a security perspective, and an advantage of continuing to use the software you have is that you have full contol over what you block or allow.

Tim

I did use the PlusNet security package for about nine months but no longer use it. It worked well with PlusNet email accounts and helped me filter out spam & viruses (viri?)

Unfortunatly PlusNet's email did not give me what I needed so I now get my email from www.port995.com.

At the moment I think that PlusNets ADSL 500 connectivity is superb and their support has improved a lot. I stil use 0808 at work and think that it is acceptable (though only *just* at certain times of the day - I have a backup account).

As discussed elsewhere, a multy-layered security approach seems best (including POLICIES for how and where to use email accounts),

Cheers, Stef
N/A

Better choice of software is also a very good option.

I now use The Bat! (version 2 just out).

It is so much more better than other e-mail software, including some excelent anti-virus and spam features.

It plugs directly into AVG, and has BeyesIt anti-spam plugins.

Some other stuff includes viewing HTML e-mail, but only embeded images. This means no web-bugs in your e-mail. Immune to the Outlook and Outlook Express security issues.

It has far better filter support, including the ability to run a mailing list from it (needs some manaul work to setup filters).

It has a mail ticker and even minimises to the system tray.

Bit of a plug I must admit, however, I havn't turned back from it yes, as it provides some of the things I need like random signatures.

It can now even do my monthly schedualed mailouts.