cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PluNet Anti-Spam 'Solution'?

worcsdave
Grafter

I have selected the 'High' setting on the PN antispam solution - yet I still get loads of spam emails which have not been picked up before delivery to my inbox.

A couple of questions:

1. Do other people also find that they still get spam coming through despite activating the anti-spam option on their PN account? If so, have you found a better way to reduce the amount of spam reaching your inbox?

2. Can anyone recommend a good, free spam remover? I have tried K9 but find that a lot of spam still gets through, and also it doesn't seem that reliable in other ways (sometimes doesn't 'read' any of my incoming mail at all).

Cheers
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

No SPAM solution is 100% reliable in catching all spam. And there are often ways to bypass scanners being introduced all the time.

You can train the spam scanner by forwarding spam emails to thisisspam@yourusername.plus.com . Although some say this makes no difference, it's worth a try.

Malwasher is supposed to be good but it's not an integrated scanner, you have to run it yourself before downloading emails.
lowry
Grafter

Hi there,
You have to remember that PlusNet's Spam Filter, does not remove the spam. It merely tags it as 'Spam' in the subject line of the e-mail for it then to be dealt with at your end.

I think this is the best solution, as if an ISP just automatically deleted mail that it thought was Spam there would be a good risk of legitimate mail getting deleted by the spam filter picking a false positive (it thinking that the message is spam when it isn't).

Some ISPs' webmail systems have a spam folder where all mail is automatically sent to, but this is not always a good system either because it means logging in to the webmail interface reguarly to check no legitimate mail has been idenitifed as spam. Many ISPs also delete all mail in their 'spam folder' after 30 days aswell. There is a spam folder in PlusNet's webmail interface but this was just put in by the 3rd party vendor that made the software (@mail) and it isn't used.

matt Wink
N/A

Hi - I have also subscribed to to the anti spam service and have settings set to High - I reckon about 20% only of all Spam I am receiving is identified as Spam, but all spam identified is identified correctly. Surely this program must do better that that - I would be interested to know what other users stats are ??
We also use FTGate mail server with UBEBLOCK which also filters out Spam using keywords, keyphrases. So in relality Plusnet may only be getting 10% of spam identified as spam !!
N/A

One other point I forgot to mention -
If i forward a spam to the thisisspam@..........plus.net, the mail is just returned to me as undeliverable. To get this to work I have to send it to thisisspam@'our domain name' - is this normal ?Huh
N/A

IIRC, you have to send it to thisisspam@ the domain it was originaly sent to.

So if somebody sent to your domain, that is where you should be sending it.
N/A

The problem with forwarding to "thisisspam" is that you have to open it to forward it. If the email has embedded HTML it can verify the address and thus means you will get more spam. I am getting a load of spam from the same source that is getting through the filter (despite forwarding them all to thisisspam), and they now know that it's a valid email adress so the frequency has increased.
N/A

Posting the mail as an attachment back to 'thisisspam' also has a similar rather negative effect and I am not convince the spam filter can read the returned attachment.. I don't think the filter even set to high is doing much of a job. My experiece with Hotmail and Freeserve is their catcher is nearly 100% effective and that is not set to high. Mailwasher does a better job than PlusCom and can be set to check aghainst several spam data bases.
Am long waiting to see an improvement here even though I am still returning several spams every day. :!:
Novocastrian
Grafter

I use Mozilla Thunderbird as my email client. Thunderbird has it's own in-built spam filter, (which also needs training).
I find that just about all of the 20% or so of spam that gets by Plusnet is caught by Thunderbird.
N/A

Blocking Domains

Is there anyway of blocking the domain that sent you the mail like you can do on hotmail. Basically i need to set a rule on the mailbox to return the mail at the server side rather than pushing the spam mail through to my mailbox.