cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help me - PlusTalk

N/A

I have just signed up for the PlusTalk Anytime servce, thinking that I could leave BT for all calls in and out bound, using PlusTalk as my provider for all my calls. PLusnet have said that I need hardware, a router adapter to be able to use the handsets etc. but now I am confused as I have been told that I can keep my landline number etc. but would I be able to phone out using the handsets and be billed by Plusnet, i.e. leave BT?

Basically how does it all work, what hardware do I need....as I am now tied up in knots..Happy Christmas :-)

I would like to be able to keep my landline phone number and make all calls via PlusTalk and leave BT...is this possible?Huh
4 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Please help me - PlusTalk

I would like to be able to keep my landline phone number and make all calls via PlusTalk and leave BT...is this possible?Huh
No.
N/A

So how does it work, cos noone at Plusnet knows!! Well, at least they won't tell me!
N/A

Yes its possible, but not if you are using PlusTalk as the adapter supplied does not have PSTN pass through for your ordinary analogue service. You need to get a device like the Grandstream Handytone 486 available for around £34 on ebay. You can then choose whichever SIP provider you choose but I'm not sure if you can use PlusTalk - I'm sure you can find a list of settings somewhere on these forums. Personally I have chosen www.sipdiscount.com but continue to use the broadband (ADSL) service provided by plus.net. Perhaps this post I made in another thread will make things a little clearer:

If what you're asking is if anyone has used www.sipdiscount.com with an Analogue Telephone Adapter (ATA) then yes I am currently using it. This is simply an adapter that transform any ordinary phone into a VOIP phone (including DECT). I have a Grandstream Handytone 486 ATA and I use www.sipdiscount.com for all landline calls which are absolutely free! You can buy these adapters for around £34 on ebay at the minute but use www.sipgate.com help area to help you set it up as support on www.sipdiscount.com is rather limited.

I would recommend getting this device over the Linksys PaP available on www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk as it has a PSTN pass through which means you will not have to give people a 0845 number to ring you as you can continue to use your analogue service. If somebody phones you on your number you just pick up the phone. If you want to dial out on analogue (and I do because the catch with sipdiscount is the cost of calling mobiles at 18p) then I simply dial *00 to use analogue and the dial tone changes and then you are on analogue - this is cheaper for me as I subscribe to BT CallMobile discount at £1.50 per month and mobiles are then from 6p per minute. But all my landline calls are free simply by dialing through voip (initial dial-tone) using the 0044xxxxxxxxxxx format. Only criticism I have is that I have lost callerID but this is a small price to pay. I think this may be possible to set-up with the device but I haven't got it working yet.

The device may be tricky to set up if you have little computer knowledge but the calls are top class and you wouldn't know the difference. Only a slight echo on some calls - if you are doing a lot of P2P or downloading and plan to do the two at the same time forget it!

I don't know why anyone would use a voip service that charged for local calls or a subscription fee. The service for sipdiscount is basic and there is little support but I will never pay for a landline again...note that this includes the rep. of ireland, united states and many other countries for absolutely nothing!

Hope this helps
N/A

Sorry I forgot to say that if you aren't a cable customer and you are using a USB modem then you may also need to replace this with an ADSL router, (may be wireless/ordinary). The Grandstream 486 device actually acts as a router itself and simply plugs into your cable/DSL modem using RJ-45 port if that is your set-up. Most people on plustalk I imagine will be using ADSL through an ordinary BT line like yourself. My own router is a BT Voyager 2100 available from plustalk themselves I think, or else BTShop online etc.. The device will work behind this router OK but to ensure best quality and reliabilty, remember to set up port forwarding etc. and avoid heavy internet use/p2p when using the VOIP to dial out.