cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Protect Your PC!!!!

N/A

Just changed jobs and am currently working for a major PC manufacturer's helpdesk.

I get up to 5 calls per day from people who are not keeping up with their anti-virus or Windoze updates and have managed to get themselves either the Welchia or Blaster worms. Cry

The patches for both of these have been out for around three months, if you are not up to date please get off this forum and update NOW!!!!

Oh yeah and do a backup of your important work files, outlook address book and internet shortcuts whilst you are at it!!

I regularly have to spend an hour plus helping inexperienced users to get their system up and running without doing the sensible thing of trashing it and starting again, simply because they use this computer for business, important school work etc. and don't back it up!

Don't get me wrong I'm actually enjoying helping people out, it is a pleasant change from my last job. But the failures make me really sad and to some people this lost data can be totally tragic.

Protect yourself NOW!!!!!! Or you might be one of my next callers. Sad

"Hello ####### Tech support how can I help you?"

Remember, most Helpdesk guys (generic non sex orientated plural there) want to help you. Be nice to them (at least at the beginning!) and they will usually go out of their way to help you. If you are not nice to them some will even bend over backwards to fix your problem, just to show you what a D##k you are, but these are the rare ones. :twisted:

Most companies agree that if the customer is abusive to the support personnel they can refuse to deal with you, so you have been warned.

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Some people may have found your title offensive, so I've edited it.]
8 REPLIES
N/A

I havent yet found out how to backup my OE addressbook. The EXPORT command seemed only for details of the connection (I have backedoff this) or have I got that wrong? Currenly I have printed off the 25 pages of addresses for security but that seems a bit daft. Advice welcome.
N/A

Get yourself a new, BIG, hard disk. They're quite cheap these days.
Then go and get Powerquest's Drive Image.

You'll no longer have to worry about exactly which files to back up and from where. You just image the whole lot. Everything.

Then, if you lose a file or group of files, you can get it from your latest image. Or if the whole OS goes kaput, you can just restore the whole lot, sector for sector, back to the original drive(s).

Wouldn't be without it.
Community Veteran

I havent yet found out how to backup my OE addressbook.

Ok here's how.

Click on and open the Addressbook and it will open as a new box.
Click on file along the top of this box
Select Export then Other Addressbook and select save as Text file (Comma seperated Variables.)

Navigate to where you want to save it to and then give it a file name (suggest say 13-12-03 or similar) save as file type .csv

Thats it, you now have it saved and in that format you can import it back into anything that takes csv format files. This of course includes Outlook express should you ever need to re install it.
N/A

Thanks John.

And re the previous post I have used Acronis TrueImage (they have just released 7.0) to back my partition onto a portable 20GB hard disk. Must download the new 7). And Magic.
N/A

John
Why a 'csv' suffix on the addressbook textfile. It looks redundant.
Community Veteran

That is the only format that I have found capable of using to import data back in again with outlook express.
I have tried saving it just as an addressbook but that seemed to run into problems.
As I said with the csv format you can also import it into access and Excel.
N/A

Thanks.
newinvention
Grafter

... or try using Express Assist, a useful Outlook Express back up tool - you can back up your address book along with (or separate from) all your emails. Easy to do and straightforward to restore... and the guys who make the software at (http://ajsystems.com) are brilliant at one to one advice on how to use their software and how to deal with problems in OE and Microsoft Outlook in general. They've helped me out big time and have been very patient with my questions. It does cost something - I think around £20, but you get updates free. Sarah