cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pings from Plusnet

Innovations
Grafter

Pings from Plusnet

My ADSL has been down for two weeks so I've been using dial-up. The dial pc didn't have a firewall on it until today. Now I see it getting pinged every few seconds. The from addresses are mainly plusnet eg alcupples.plus.com, jssltd.force9.co.uk, pittam.plus.com etc etc. I assume these are from viruses. Can you not supress them temporarily ie stop routing pings between plus users?
5 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Pings from Plusnet

Can you not supress them temporarily ie stop routing pings between plus users?

This is the problem that I'm experiencing also! If it's possible for +net to stop routing pings it would be a relief for me. I'm getting one ping every 30 seconds.

:roll:
N/A

Pings from Plusnet

I think we've had this discussion before. IIRC the outcome was that 32 bytes of data, even every 30 secs, was minimal (for 56K or ADSL) so there wasn't much point.

I find that pings are a useful diagnostic tool; if I have a problem I can try pinging my router, then various servers throughout PlusNet (DNS for example) then more distant servers (google.com, bbc.co.uk etc).
N/A

Pings from Plusnet

It's certainly the result of a virus - it looks to be MSBlast or one of it's variants as I've had a dozen PlusNet users attempt to connect to my machine via port 135 in the last 5 minutes!

At the end of the day, it's not PlusNet's problem - each individual is responsible for the anti-virus (or lack of it!) on their machine.

Given that the latest wave of viruses seem to be targetting security flaws in Windows, it is almost impossible for any ISP to identify the traffic generated by these viruses as they use standard port numbers such as 135 which is normally used for the following:

DHCP Manager (MS Windows NT 4.0)
DNS Administration (MS Windows NT 4.0)
WINS Manager (MS Windows NT 4.0)
Client/Server Comm. (MS Exchange Server version 5.0)
Exchange Administrator (MS Exchange Server version 5.0)
RPC (MS Exchange Server version 5.0)

As annoying as it might be, this is just one of those things that we are going to have to put up with as it isn't going to go away...it's only likely to get worse.

The best advice is to make sure your anti-virus is up to date and install a firewall of some sort - even a free product like ZoneAlarm will offer a substantial protection from these sorts of viruses.
N/A

Pings from Plusnet

It's certainly the result of a virus - it looks to be MSBlast or one of it's variants as I've had a dozen PlusNet users attempt to connect to my machine via port 135 in the last 5 mins.

As annoying as it might be, this is just one of those things that we are going to have to put up with as it isn't going to go away...it's only likely to get worse.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you on this one. It seems a fact of life that these pings will continue and that +net have no way of preventing them.

legally, I assume all information that is gathered from the pings can be used by the receiving machine user for whatever purpose he/she wishes.
N/A

Internet Security

I've had a lot of this showing up in my firewall logs recently.

Its doing my fkin head in.