cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Scam

wokie

Phone Scam

Hi

Has anyone had problems with pop up screens dialing premium phone numbers and charging without your knowledge until your phone bill arrives.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Moderators note (John) All capitals title changed to lower case. Please don't use all capitals as its akin to shouting and rude.
7 REPLIES
N/A

Phone Scam

My advice is to see the ICSTIS website for these issues.

They can help with more information.

I am not sure about the situation regarding compensation, though I don't think the ICSTIS can help with that. They might be able to advise you on who to speak to though.
Community Veteran

Phone Scam

While I don't have the problem, this is becoming an increasing scam and often arrives via email viruses and p2p software like Kazza.

If you never dial permium rate numbers, you can get BT to put a block on them for free.

Then run several of the many spyware/adware scanners like ad-ware and spybot search and destroy which will normally get rid of the majority of the dialler scam software.

I would also urge you to install a software firewall and run anti-virus software if you are not already - there are many free versions around you can use - as this will often block such programs from running unless you give permission for them to run.

Links to all the above mentioned software can be found in the following tutorial: General: Essential Security software.
N/A

Phone Scam

My friend had sumert like this. His phone bill was in the high hundred pound area. From phone calls made 2 usa etc. I hate all this spam and spyware stuff. Sumert shud be done about it
N/A

Phone Scam

Hi there,

I listened to a radio programme last week on this subject.
A spokesperson for BT and a consumer affairs representative contributed to the discussion.

The bottom line was that if you have these charges showing on your bill arising from a UK based premium rate number which you at no time deliberately dialled or gave permission to be installed on your pc, then dipsute the bill.

You must however pay the amount that is not in dispute, ie your normal charges.

The Bt rep admitted that they are actually deriving revenue from some of these numbers and are now doing all that they can to resolve any issues affecting consumers and put a stop to this practice.

There was information given out about who to contact and if i find out anything more I'll post on the forum.

Best regards

Mark
wokie

Phone Scam

Hi

Thanks for the advice

I have contacted Icstis via email who will investigate(lengthy process) and it appears if I claim compensation it will have to be from the original pop up originator(who could be anywhere in the world).

Have blocked the premium tele numbers.

Will increase my protection in future.

Will keep you all posted.
N/A

Phone Scam

Am I correct in thinking that this is not a problem for broadband users? I don't have a standard dial-up modem in my PC (only an ADSL modem/router via LAN). Presumably the software can't conect through this type of set-up?

Dave
N/A

Phone Scam

Hi there,

That would be correct. If you dont have a modem installed, then the sotware cant dial up.

Mark