cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Persistant Router Hits

N/A

Persistant Router Hits

Hello,

I've been getting constant hits aginst my firewall (router) for the last few days, every few hours from the same plus net user.

shine747.plus.com (212.159.127.19Cool

I've e-mail them and plus net abuse adress, I've also add a firewall entry blocking all traffic from that address.

What more can I do?
it's annoying to say the least, although I don't think they are genuine attacks, just the result of a virus or trojan.

Any info or advice gratefully recieved.

Aaron
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Persistant Router Hits

You have done all you can.

Every few hours is not really a big issue, if it were constant or every minute I would be concerned but every few hours is nothing. It would basically be classed as internet noise and there is nothing you can do about it really as everyone gets this sort of thing. They are most likely infected with a virus and have no firewall but they may also never read their email. The frequency would probably mean Abuse will not do much about it other than to try to contact the owner but they will have other users who are generating much more probes/scanstaking up their time.
N/A

Persistant Router Hits

Hi,

Thanks for the confirmation, I did think I've done all I can but I was hoping by some long shot, that there might be something else I can do.

I accept that some traffic is going to hit the router, but the fact its almost every hour and multiple ports. I'm Evil that they don't bother to read their e-mail, espcially since it's part of the T&C for Plus Net.....grrrrrr

Anyway, thanks for the quick response.

Aaron
N/A

Persistant Router Hits

I've only had a 10% response of emailing people who appear in my router log.
Try a number of different prefixes to the mail address and different titles. Your mail can be considered as spam and discarded, so how you address, title and word it is important.

Of course, they could be a gamer and never read their email. This is possible as they have nothing setup in their webspace.
N/A

Persistant Router Hits

I've never had any replies back, but a few of the people I've e-mailed, just disappear from my log and have yet to re-appear.

I remember there being a big discussion on it all, but it never really seem to get anywhere.

It's just a bit annoying, and I don't want to have to block every IP address that hits my firewall :lol:

Aaron
N/A

Persistant Router Hits

Really, the background hits you are getting are not worth the bother. In fact, if you start blocking every IP that appears in your log, you could, in the long run, actually slow down the router due to the length of the "ban list" it would have to go through.
N/A

Persistant Router Hits

I was thinking that myself, and it'd be a pain to maintain. I'll remove all the blocks and let the router handle itself.

I think I'll remove the automatic e-mails as well, since they make you slightly paranoid as I get loads of them...lol
N/A

Persistant Router Hits

I think I'll remove the automatic e-mails as well, since they make you slightly paranoid as I get loads of them...lol

I've always had mine turned off. It really does nothing apart from generating paranoia, as you state. If the PlusNet mail server is running slow, the router can stall while waiting for the server response, giving the appearance of a lock.
N/A

Persistant Router Hits

I've not had that happen yet, but I'm sure it does.

However if you don't, it does mean I've got to check my logs every now and again, which the e-mail option saves me the effort.
Community Veteran

Persistant Router Hits

You only need to check your logs if your connection speed is suffering. If it's not, just let your firewall deal with the 'noise'.
N/A

Persistant Router Hits

That IP has just started on me. Only 10 events though. Obviously virus ridden.
N/A

Persistant Router Hits

All the hits from that IP seem to have stopped last night, only to be replaced by a different plus net user .... :lol:

I've turned some of the e-mail options off but I'll check the log every now and again, regardless of whether the performance of my connection suffers or not.

It's worth keeping a check on.

Aaron