cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peer to Peer!

N/A

Peer to Peer!

It was good to learn that PlusNet seem to be embracing an active role in monitoring Peer-to-Peer activity on client’s computers.

Having recently had my computer compromised by a young house guest who, during his five-day stay, installed a Bit Torrent software application that resulted in a vast increase in bandwidth, I am clearly interested in preventing a similar occurrence in the future. Particularly so if the increase was due to downloading and onward transmission of objectionable material. Does the PlusNet system simply monitor activity per se or is it possible to identify sites and the nature of the traffic and offer a report for follow-up proceedings?
9 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Peer to Peer!

What's thisHuh??
Other than measuring bandwidth used, I sincerely hope that Plusnet do not monitor anything at all that goes to or from my computer or to anyone else's.

Or has the delightful Blair now passed a law to tell me what to do on the internet as well as in every other aspect of my life?
N/A

Peer to Peer!

I suspect it is one of two things

1: The Surf option of ADSL Premier and Lite accounts, to block Binary usenet and P2P applications.

This will not however block Bittorrent,

2: A copyright holder has contacted PlusNet regarding the distribution of said material.

PlusNet will simply pass these one, and ask that such illegal actions be stopped.

This actions covers PlusNets backs. No further action is taken against the request.
Community Veteran

Peer to Peer!

You can stop P2P use, see the following link;
https://portal.plus.net/surf/

Surf

Worried about bandwidth-hungry applications such as peer to peer (P2P) software or binary newsgroups being used on your account? Then activate the Surf option. With Surf turned on you can still access the web, chat, email and play online games but access to P2P and binary newsgroups is restricted – giving you security and added peace of mind.

Chilly
N/A

Peer to Peer!

Chily,

From what Phil (acarr) has posted, this won't block Bit Torrent applications.

As for prevention, if you using XP, then create a limited account for said person, and they shouldn't be able to install any new software like P2P applications.

The other method is to find a firewall or sandbox with process control. You can then password the settings and thus prevent any new applications that you've not approved from running.
N/A

Peer to Peer!

Thank you for the responses. With regard to the question of Plusnet monitoring port activity I'm sure that is OK if it is engaged in at the request of the client. Signing up for P2P monitoring is presumably sufficient authority.

I understand that Bittorrents is a premier P2P application. So what is special about it that prevents Plusnet from blocking it?
N/A

Peer to Peer!

I understand that Bittorrents is a premier P2P application. So what is special about it that prevents Plusnet from blocking it?

Can use hundreds of different ports..
N/A

Peer to Peer!

Yep as previously said, Bit Torrent clients tend to randomise their port settings to avoid being blocked, as some ISP's (not PN) throttle the default P2P ports.

However many other P2P applications allow you to do this now, or at least change the default ports, making them difficult to block.
N/A

Peer to Peer!

Thanks guys. In the cirumstances I guess the safest thing would be to ensure that visitors/guests accounts are "limited" in future! Talk about bolting the stable door.......!
community
Grafter

surf control

Tell me if I got it wrong but I assumed that this p2p restriction facility on Plusnet was active on my setting/ However, I recently joined Limewire and found that there were hundreds of users of my bandwidth until I deleted the 'Share' file! Meantime I will have to pay for a lot of outside bandwidth at the end of my month.
Sad What then is the work that Plusnet 'Surf Activate' is supposed to do?