cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peer Guardian

N/A

Peer Guardian

Hi, does anyone know anything about this IP Blocking tool? is it worth using? any other ones that could be suggested.

Many thanks,

Aaron
4 REPLIES
N/A

Peer Guardian

It is very good at what it does, but I would class it overkill.

It is not a firewall, but a utility designed by P2P users, to prevent MPAA, RIAA and others using backdoors and legitimate methods of looking for Copyright protected material.

In doing this, they have actualy listed people and companies unassociated with them. Meaning you will find that you get reduced transfer rates, as you can't transfer of legitimate sources.
N/A

Peer Guardian

Hi Phil,

The idea of it in prinicple sounds good, but the fact that is has incorrect IP addresses within the list isn't. For example Plus Net have an address which is listed within there, and I had noticed on the forums that a fellow PN user has requested this address be removed from the list.

The fact I use Bit Torrent for downloads means it won't really do anything for me, since my IP address can be traced at the tracker.

I was mainly interested in for the anti-spyware/malware and ads that it helps to block.

If you know of any products which perform this task or are worthing looking into, then I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Aaron
N/A

Peer Guardian

IIRC, when he requested it was delisted, he infact caused more of the PN range to be listed in a different database.

I suspect such requests can only come from the IP subnet holder, PlusNet.
N/A

Peer Guardian

I've only found one Plus Net address listed (that I know of), except it happens to be the IP address that PN use when assigning a holding page for web accounts, that have not yet been setup. As I've not setup a website, for various reasons, if I typed in my website address it was blocked, as it went to the holding page.

Obviously I can get around this, but if the lists are flawed it's possibly not worth using. I like lots of other users are concerened about "Big Brother".
I'll just have to try and find another solution.