cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay As You Go Broadband?

Community Veteran

Pay As You Go Broadband?

Eurotrain4, who's working as a news editor at my site, has posted an interesting article about broadband - specifically, the way you pay for it. The article's here if you want to read it.

Btw, you can comment in the thread at my site (no reg required) or comment here... I'm not bothered. Smiley

Thomas
13 REPLIES
N/A

Pay As You Go Broadband?

Bit like friaco for broadband then really :?:

The mobile providers are doing it with GPRS so I guess it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise.

Thomas: I tried posting this on your site but seemed to need to register.
N/A

Pay As You Go Broadband?

Yup, it refused me too.

When it comes to GPRS, it is a little different.

It is pretty expensive in terms of resources when it comes to making available GPRS channels.

GPRS works on a basis of "spare capacity". That is somthing the UK networks are lacking.

As for the idea of PAYG DSL, it sounds interesting.

I can strongly see the sence in why it would be needed, and agree that I do not want to be susidising these users activities. However, broadband britain has the goal of providing high capacity links to users (business and cunsumer), where there is a fixed fee for what they want, when they want it with no ties.

Culling with daily or weekly limits is seperate and is based on cost. However, tirs of service should be available for this.
Community Veteran

Pay As You Go Broadband?

Thanks for pointing out that guest posting doesn't work... I haven't a clue why. Guess I'd better take a look. Cry

Thonas
Community Veteran

Pay As You Go Broadband?

Well, sorted that out... I had the forum permissions set so guests could reply, but the overall guest permission mask was set so that guests couldn't reply. Sorted now. Thanks people for pointing that out.

Anyway, back on topic... any more thoughts?

Thomas
N/A

Pay As You Go Broadband?

Metronet offer PAYG broadband, take a look at http://www.metronet.co.uk/
Community Veteran

Pay As You Go Broadband?

Shocked Didn't know that!
They're only a half payg provider really though... because after a certain point, you're charged a flat rate anyway.

Thomas
N/A

Pay As You Go Broadband?

They're only a half payg provider really though... because after a certain point, you're charged a flat rate anyway.
Thomas

True, however the rate is capped depending on the account you choose.

People using the cheapest account for occasional Broadband connection and who don't hog a lot of bandwidth should, in theory, have a better service for less money. This can only be a good thing for BB Britain.

• PAYGoDSL has a unique cost capping element built into it which means when usage reaches a certain point (depending on the package) you don't pay any more no matter how much you use your connection thereafter.

• Try the comparison test here

I was amazed at how little I use my connection and the possible savings I would make.

Thanks for the link hodgsob. Good one.

Cheesy
N/A

Pay As You Go Broadband?

I go beyond the cost cap, so I am better off with +Net.

However, I do not overuse my connection. As such, that PAYG option seems over the top to me, and could be set differently.

One of the major flaws of ADSL is the fact that regardless of what provider you are with, there are set costs implimented by BT. As such, you can only go so low.

The price cap by metro could do with being higher. Otherwise, at £24 per month, they are pretty well priced on the current cap. Many would not rule this out when chosing them as a provider.

What it would maker interesting, is when you are away on holiday.
N/A

Pay As You Go Broadband?

I'm interested in PaYG broadband and hope Plus.net offer it soon. If they don;t I'll be migrating to Metronet as soon as my contract runs out.

matt
csogilvie
Grafter

Pay As You Go Broadband?

PlusNet are apparently planning on looking in to it in the future... from a thread on ADSL Guide (here)
Community Veteran

Pay As You Go Broadband?

Have you looked at what you get (or dont get) with metronet?
I looked into this for a customer a while back and decided its definately a case of you get what you pay for.
Having run the tests to see how it would work out then like Philip both myself and the customer would end up paying more than a connection with PlusNet and have nothing other than the surfing facilities.
e-mail is extra and hosting is extra.
N/A

Pay As You Go Broadband?

I hear you. However, I do not use the hosting and could do without the email, hence my inquiry. It would save me money! Wink

matt
N/A

Web Usage Monitoring

Does anyone know of any software to monitor the size / amount of your downloads / uploads? I'm moving to Oz soon and it appears that most of the big players over there offer capped services rather than PAYG. Just not sure how much I actually use at the mo and would like to work it out. :?: