Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Killer

jabb0
Grafter

PC Killer

Hey folks,

i am just back from fixing a friends computer, yes of course it was running windoze!!! (winXP Home if it really matters)

It wouldnt startup in any shape or form ie safe mode died for the same reason, error:
the file c:\windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt

and no this file didnt have any filetype extension.

after a little poking around the the command line there was no directory c:\windows\system32\config\

Now either winodoze suddenly started to imagine that it needed the files in this non existent directory or this directory had been wiped by some rather useful program.
I am thinking the latter.

I got it fixed by using a compaq's restore feature, which was very nice indeed.

But i am left with the burning question of what on earth happened in the first place?

any ideas guys?

cheers

PS An interesting point is that as standard (it seems) the folder C:\windows\repair\ holds backups for the files in the c:\windows\system32\config\
i dont know whether or not its a good thing that windows expected this to happen at some point thus providing backups... although restoring these files just made it worse.
But its fixed now so i dont really need a solution, i just really REALLY want to find out the cause.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

PC Killer

Incorrect system shutdowns can cause folder/file corruptions - i.e. after a power failure or someone shutting down by pressing the on/off button.

If you can boot to a dos prompt then running chkdsk can sometimes recover corrupted folders.
jabb0
Grafter

PC Killer

Ok i held of on this deliberatly to see if anyone would hit the bullseye.

But if i mentioned spybot, would that start any alarm bells?

This happened directly after my friend followed its intructions to restart to clean a few files.
It never started up again, surely spybot cant search and destroy a complete folder inside the system32 folder.... can it?

I have told her not to use spybot again until i can either confirm or deny that it needs shot.

Ya see im still holding onto the idea that it may have been a real freaky coincidence.

cheers man Cheesy
Ziggur
Grafter

PC Killer

It's a registry corruption.
Removing files highlighted by Spybot may have caused it.
Google lists nearly 4000 articles on the subject.
This one might help:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as...-us;307545

Regards
jabb0
Grafter

PC Killer

Cheers man but the link dont work!

I cant be recomending ppl to use spybot when it can take a computer and completely destroy windoze to a point where they need to call me. Sad