Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook vs Outlook Express

chrisco
Grafter

Hi All,

Problem: I have had so much aggro with OE ( app hangs, general slowness, knocking out my internet connection, so on & on& on............!) I've checked for nasties in my system done all the right things to try to tame it & I've finally run out of patience & have decided to ditch the Demon :twisted: .

Advice please:I have Outlook on my Office 2003 suite but have never bothered to get it up & running - pure laziness on my part no other reason - my questions to folks who already use it are these: is it easy to set up,is it user friendly, will it prove to be as much of a pain as OE has been to me.

I know all you Thunderbird fans will be clambering to tell me to change but I do like the format of OE & all the family are familiar with it's workings & I'm always getting nagged for changing things.

Regards, Chris
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Outlook vs Outlook Express

Advice please:I have Outlook on my Office 2003 suite but have never bothered to get it up & running - pure laziness on my part no other reason - my questions to folks who already use it are these: is it easy to set up,is it user friendly, will it prove to be as much of a pain as OE has been to me.

I've just opened up outlook 2002 at college and it seems as user friendly as OE however it is fairly different and has a lot of extra stuff OE doesn't have.

I know all you Thunderbird fans will be clambering to tell me to change but I do like the format of OE & all the family are familiar with it's workings & I'm always getting nagged for changing things.

I would say the differences between OE and Outlook and OE and Thunderbird are roughly of a similar quantity. I would say thunderbird is layed out more like OE than outlook; but outlook "looks" more like oe. The only major difference I can think of between thunderbird and OE is the button you hit to get mail. In thunderbird It's labled get mail in OE it's labled send/recieve all.

Also in thunderbird you get an excellent spam filter.
N/A

The differences between Outlook Express and Outlook 2003 are massive.

Apart from added and increased functionality, the Spam protection and filtering built in to Outlook 2003 is fantastic. Keeping the spam definations up to date via the MS updates is a must, but it is by far an excellent bit of kit.

When you fire up Outlook on your PC for the first time. it should detect the prescence of your existing accounts and personal folders from OE and give you the opportunity to import accounts, mail and contacts into Outlook.

If it doesnt do it automatically, then run the import tool from file.

Hope that help. Should you need any help, dont hesitate to post back.
chrisco
Grafter

Thanks for the replies Daniel & Mark. Well, everything went swimmingly until I tried to import my address book when only the four I have in the main identity contacts came across, (I have 5 other catagories in all). Using my logic I transferred everything into the main identity file then nothing came over. I've tried exporting from OE -after setting up a personal address book - but get the message that theres no PAB set up! Have spent the best part of 2 hours now checking & rechecking settings but can't for the life of me see where the problem lies. All the mail has come over by the way. Any ideas about this or will I have to input everything again Sad

Regards, Chris
N/A

Have you tried exporting the file as a .csv (comma seperated values) and then importing it as the same in Outlook

File---Import and Export---import from another program or file-----comma seperated values (windows)
chrisco
Grafter

@robynfali, nope, won't work. When I try to export from OE I get an error message which isn't very helpful as it doesn't tell you where the error is! This is what I'm doing:

in OE file>export>address book>text file(csv)>export>save exported file as>save>next>choose fields>next> error message

If I try to import to Outlook I just get the messages & no addresses.

Very frustrating, any ideas would be gratefully received.

Regards, Chris
Alecto
Grafter

In Outlook Express,
Try Tools/Address Book/File/Export and then select where you export it to as a WAB file.
jabb0
Grafter

Dude you have got ur self a real pain in the backside here!!!
I had similar problems with restoring after a reinstall!!!

I never did "get" why one would want multiple identities/address books, on a multi-user operaing system, where each user gets thier own outlook datafiles.

I just used the windoze address book in the end!!
(i no longer use windoze, ubuntu now and i aint eva goin back!!)

These days i say pah!!! to having my Email client / personal Info Manager on my local PC - i use a remote/online one, where i can get access anywhere with an internet connection, no headaches backing up and restoring cos my host does daily backups (although i still make the odd backup jus cos im paranoid)

But if you REALLY wanna use outlook - for future reference - when backing it up - export to a .pst file - that will take care of inbox, contacts the lot (not 100% sure about rules and filters tho)

Sorry im not much help to your current predicament...

PS if worst comes to worst and your about to start typing it all in again (been there too) export into vCard format, there is usually a pretty handy button to do this somewhere, doing them one at a time will make dam sure that outllook dont try nuttin funny on ya and u get to save yourself a few keystrokes.
chrisco
Grafter

Ho Ho what a fine dance!! Thankyou to Bill Gates for complicating my life & giving me something constructive to do :x

Had a look at Office help & just for the record unlike OE, Outlook can't use a WAB file & you can't import addresses from sub folders in the address book, so I shoved everything back in the main folder, followed the instructions for an auto import just as I did before & what do you know everything went across this time so all's well that ends well.
Thank to all who offered their assistance.

Chris