cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook Express problem

N/A

Outlook Express problem

For a long while all has been OK, suddenly this. 2 computers connected via router, both have Outlook Express set up incomeing mail POP3 and mail.plus.net, outgoing relay.plus.net, account=briston+mailboxname password xxxxxxxx
1 computer has had settings changed to incomeing 127.0.0.1, outgoing relay.plus.net, account mailboxname@mydomainname.co.uk This still seems to work. I did not make the changes. The other has shown no changes but now cannot receive email but can stilll send.
The only change I can see is that I upgraded from BB+ to Premier but in no way can I see or suggest this is the cause, just an observation but the computer which now cannot receive has not been able to do so since the change. I do not know when the changes took place on the working computer email as I only looked when things went wrong.
Any thoughts anyone?
6 REPLIES
N/A

Outlook Express problem

OK, I have now read that there is a problem BUT can anyone shed light on the settings changeing?
N/A

Outlook Express problem

hi there,

Are you running Norton Antivirus or Internet Security software?
N/A

Outlook Express problem

Yes McAfee but both computers have been running it and nothing has been changed there.
N/A

Outlook Express problem

in macaffee go to spam filtering and check the settings there ...

127.0.0.1 is the local internal ip of the pc ..
N/A

Outlook Express problem

Hi there,

127.0.0.1 is actually the loopback or localhost address of your PC. Your anti virus software may have set the pop3 or incoming mail server to this and this is normal. The fact that the other system is not set up like this may indicate a problem.

A recent McAfee update might have changed something and you may find it worthwhile uninstalling McAfee on the problematic PC as a very temporary measure purely for testing. If you are able to send a test email, then problem identified.

Reinstall McAfee and hopefully the issue will have been resolved.

There were a number of issues recently with the dreaded Norton AV and security products, which caused similar problems. I cant say that I have heard of similar issues just as recently with McAfee.

My belief is that your AV is the culprit and only by eliminating that in the first instance can we make progress.
N/A

Outlook Express problem

Seems to be McAfee then. Will do as you suggest. Thing is, whilst I could sort of understand why I had to configure OE the way I did in order to get my email, and it worked, now that McAfee has changed it I wonder how the whole thing works. Also, if I now add a new email box, would I configuer OE as per plusnet instructins or how I see McAfee seems to have changed things?
Why should life be easy when some piece of software can make life difficult.