Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook Express- cannot 'reply to' Help please

canary2211
Grafter

:? :?:

I can happily send and receive new emails. But when I reply to, or when I expect to receieve a 'read receipt', this fails. It works in Outlook - that is, all appears well in Outlook and it shows the 'reply to ' as Sent, but I know that the recipient does not get the email.

I have tested between office and home account, and between 2 different accounts at home. All fail. This is only a problem with reply to , or forward. If I send a new email, or recieve a new email, it is fine

Anyone got any ideas? It was never a problem before I had Broadband (when I was on N*L d**l up) so I suspect a PlusNet email set up problem, But might it be related to Norton?

Running Outlook Express 6, W98E, Norton Internet Security, 512K ADSL.

Thanks in advance!

Nick
3 REPLIES
N/A

The fact this only reflects reply-to messages sounds more like a local configuration issue than a server related issue.

Make sure you have changed all the settings in your mail client to reflect that of PlusNet's mail setup.
Community Veteran

Make sure all acounts in OE use relay.plus.net as the outgoing SMTP server. If you still have NTL's SMTP setup when connected via PlusNet you cannot send emails.

Also check the reply email address is actually valid i.e. correctly formed as something@domain.xxx - invalid addresses may stop email being sent.

What error messages are you getting - please post here so we can see.
canary2211
Grafter

Settings OK?

Thanks Philip - but the settings look fine - POP3, mail.plus.net, relay.plus.net. Anything else to check?

And to Peter - I don't get error messages. Simply that I know the other person does not recieve the email (tested by ringing them up! and by sending messages between two Plus net email boxes on my own PC). The Sent email appears in the Sent folder - only it does not arrive.

The only thing I did not have completed was the "Reply" address in OE - but then I thought that was not necessary ? And when I compose a reply, the plus net address comes up OK.

Any more ideas? I'm very grateful