cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outgoing call Quality

N/A

Outgoing call Quality

The people I ring continually say that the quality of my call is very poor, this has gone on for a couple of month now and nits gettgin a little tiresome. Incoming calls via PSTN are absolutely clean.Ive tried G711u and G711a without much benefit

I'm using a Speedtouch VIOP router from Plustalk and my normal PSTN phone plugged directly into it.

Has anyone got any suggestions or can recommend the best quality CODEC to use.

Thanks

Stuart
13 REPLIES
N/A

Outgoing call Quality

It could be more to do with your VOIP competing with other traffic on your broadband line...e.g. I have found that if downloading P2P etc at the same time as placing a call using a VOIP will result in unsatisfactory call quality/delays and echoes at the other end. Are you using you computer at the same time as placing VOIP calls?
N/A

Quality

Thanks for the reply.

Yes the computer is on but even if it isn't then the quality is still very poor for the other party. Nothing I have tried has worked so far Sad

Skype works a treat - Crystal clear Smiley
N/A

Outgoing call Quality

Have you tried setting up port forwarding for the voip ports or placing the adapter in the DMZ zone in the settings of your router?
nickthesurfer
Grafter

X-Lite v. SKYPE

I've also been fighting with the quality of the calls with x-lite & with very little joy. Just installed SKYPE & the quality is brilliant. Added to my PlusNet query with the following...... I have just installed SKYPE to see if it was my hardware causing a problem & this has shown that everything is fine at my end as the call quality & even functionality of my hardware (usb viop phone) is vastly improved! Why does SKYPE perform so well, while x-lite is like talking through a through a thin tube into an echo chamber?

I've fiddled & followed all the setting instructions & now have the sound so low (echo down to a minimum) that I have to sit in a small soundproof box to hear what the other person is saying.

How are any of you out there getting to enjoy the X-Lite software?

- Nick :roll:
Community Veteran

Re: X-Lite v. SKYPE

It is bad for your health by the looks of it! You have even started to write with an echo... echo... echo! LOL :lol:
like talking through a through a thin tube into an echo chamber?
nickthesurfer
Grafter

Oh Dear.......

I do enjoy others pointing out my failings failings Shockedops:
Community Veteran

Outgoing call Quality

Thats no failing m8, freudian maybe <not that I understand the freudian thing>.

Smiley
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Re: Outgoing call Quality

The people I ring continually say that the quality of my call is very poor .....

I have found the same. I use Voipfone and have recently posted the following on their forum in response to an observation regarding poor call quality using X-Lite -

I have similar experience. PC-to-PC SIP calls are fine. Loud and clear using X-Lite and SJphone. Maybe a bit better with SJphone but marginal. Skype-Skype calls also very clear.

I have the same quality problems using X-Lite and SJPhone for PC-to-landline calls. No echo or feedback but not very clear. I can live with it but it is nothing like as good as PC-to-PC.

Skype-to-landline calls are much better quality and there is no difference between Skype-to-landline and Skype-to-Skype calls.

I realise Skype uses a non SIP protocol but it does seem to give clearer calls. Is this a SIP issue or the way Voipfone connects to landlines? I haven't tried another SIP provider so I don't know.

By the way I would now recommend SJphone instead of X-Lite - much easier to use but unfortunately the same call out problem.
N/A

Outgoing call Quality

Not sure if it helps but I have no problem with outgoing call quality to PSTN lines.

My set up is an ordinary DECT phone with an Analogue Telephone Adapter (Grandstream 486) using www.sipdiscount.com. Perhaps it is more to do with your sip provider as you have already discounted your hardware (as Skype works OK)?

You should try the free one minute trial using the details on the www.sipdiscount.com homepage and entering these into x-lite or SJphone or whatever softphone client you use. At least then you'll know whether the sip provider makes a difference or not. If you are still getting poor outgoing quality then I would presume that it is the actual software (i.e. xlite which is causing the poor quality).
N/A

Outgoing call Quality

sorry stuart, forgot about you...you too should try entering the free trial details into your ATA to see if it makes any difference!
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Outgoing call Quality

Just for clarification, my problem is only when using softphones. Not a DECT phone and ATA.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Outgoing call Quality

Last night I tried just having codec G711u active, and then G711a active. No difference - still poor call quality.
Community Veteran

Re: Outgoing call Quality

By the way I would now recommend SJphone instead of X-Lite - much easier to use but unfortunately the same call out problem.

Do you?

I have a problem with incoming calls using SJphone, I answer the call and start talking, there is 30s of full duplex audio, then the caller is told I have not answered and is diverted to voicemail.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed