cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Other Options

N/A

Other Options

Hi,

I don't want to rain on PlusNet's parade, but I thought I'd show a couple of links to non-VOIP telephone services that are cheaper than the VOIP offerings out there (though not cheaper than PC-PC obviously)...

http://www.call1899.co.uk/
http://www.call18866.co.uk/

Both offer 'free' calls to UK landline numbers, for a 5p connection charge, and their international rates are cheaper than any VOIP provider I've seen.

In addition you don't need any special kit - just a normal phone and a BT line. You just have to remember to dial the appropriate access number first Smiley

Obviously you don't therefore need any PC equipment switched on.

I'm not working for either of these companies, I just thought people should see them - I've used one to call France every few days for the last year. VOIP is great in the right situation, but there are better offers out there if you just need to phone someone who doesn't have a PC/broadband...

Rich
5 REPLIES
N/A

Other Options

Couldn't agree more. Actually it's a charge of 3p per call with those companies, not 5p, so even better than your message implies. :lol:

PlusTalk may be fine for PC-PC, but for calls to ordinary numbers their rates are decidedly unattractive - especially the overseas rates, for which there are plenty of cheap providers out there. These days I'm afraid it's no good just being "50% cheaper than BT" because for 99% of their calls nobody in their right mind is using BT in the first place!
N/A

Other Options

you could also try http://www.dialaround.co.uk works straight from your normal phone, no need to register/pay up front, billed straight to your normal phone bill. got some good rates for international numbers too. i.e 1 p a minute to Australia Cheesy
N/A

Other Options

Yes, there are quite a few others around - for example, Telediscount are also worth a look.

The only thing you have to watch with those ones which you don't need to register for, where the charge goes straight on your BT bill rather than being billed by the provider, is that as soon as you're connected to the other provider's system, BT will charge for the call. So, if the call fails for some reason, the person is engaged, or whatever, you've paid 5p for nothing.

The one I *really* enjoy using is SunDial - completely free calls to UK landlines on Saturdays and Sundays. You have to use their dialler box, not something I'm normally fond of, and their weekday rates are rubbish but, of course, it only works on the extension that you plugged the dialler box into. It does not take a genius to figure out that if you only use the phone that's on the SunDial extension at weekends, and one short chargeable call per month just to keep them happy, you can enjoy free weekend calls for just 5p per month and have the pleasure of ripping off Rupert Murdoch at the same time. Smiley
N/A

Other Options

I've just found a 'free' VOIP service.

www.voipcheap.co.uk

They let you make free VOIP calls to UK landlines plus a few other countries (including France - yay!) and the quality seems to be pretty good.

I say 'free' (with quotes) rather than free (no quotes) as you have to put at least £5 in your account to qualify for the 'free' calls, but you can make free calls of <1min without having to make that initial deposit. The call limit is 1 hour, before you get hung up, but you can just dial again.

The money in your account is used for calling other numbers (10.5p to UK mobiles). No idea if you have to keep a minimum of £5 in your account to qualify for the 'free' calls, or if it's a single deposit you need to make...
N/A

Other Options

I've just found a 'free' VOIP service.

www.voipcheap.co.uk

They let you make free VOIP calls to UK landlines plus a few other countries (including France - yay!) and the quality seems to be pretty good.

I say 'free' (with quotes) rather than free (no quotes) as you have to put at least £5 in your account to qualify for the 'free' calls, but you can make free calls of <1min without having to make that initial deposit. The call limit is 1 hour, before you get hung up, but you can just dial again.

The money in your account is used for calling other numbers (10.5p to UK mobiles). No idea if you have to keep a minimum of £5 in your account to qualify for the 'free' calls, or if it's a single deposit you need to make...

thats who i'm using now, paid the £5 and rang loads of friends already and still got £5 credit Cheesy will be ringing Australia this weekend too to test it out Smiley