cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions wanted about website.

N/A

Hi All,

I have recently started developing a NON-Profit based website. It is a site about my interest etc. Would you take 5 minutes out of your time to look at it and let me know what you think please.
The guestbook works, so if you leave your comments etc on there that would be great.

All the best Tom http://www.tomturley.co.uk
12 REPLIES
michaelscott
Grafter

you migt want to use black text on a white background rather than white text Smiley lol... just a thought
N/A

Agree, dark text on a light background always makes easier reading.
Apart from that looks fine.

P.S: I used to have the big brother of your new bike, a Yamaha TR1, 1000cc V twin. Not quick, but would pull a house down at tickover.
michaelscott
Grafter

It looks fine? You can't even see the text. lol
N/A

Mike, I guess you are seeing what I am seeing (or not seeing) - white on white?

I could not believe that anyone could really be that silly, had a look at it in IE instead of Firefox, and it shows as white on a sort of blue-green background, darkest at the top, gradually getting lighter towards the bottom. Not something that I would go for myself, I always prefer dark on light to light on dark, but if you're happy with reversed-out text it's quite OK.

The question is, Tom, what have you done that screws it up when viewed with Firefox? And whatever the answer is, is it really necessary? There is a lot to be said for simplicity.
N/A

Thanks.

Hi All,

Thanks for all your views. I have a few questions myself. lol.

1) What on earth is firefox HuhHuh?

2) Would enlarging the text help if it were to remain as it is at present ? (as it was in verdana size = none before and now I have changed it to size 2)

3) is there anyone that has a good > excellent knowledge of php scripting (guestbooks and form mailers). As I require a little help in changing the style of the guestbook.

Thank you for all your views once again and all the best Tom.
N/A

It was white on white viewed in Opera as well - when viewed normally in 'Author Mode'. It is possible to view it by switching to 'User Mode'.
Firefox is a browser.
N/A

Firefox, Opera, Netscape are all alternative web browsers to MS Internet Explorer.
Did you create the site in Frontpage Huh
Community Veteran

Firefox is the stand alone browser that is included in Mozilla. You can either download and install just the browser by dowloading the beta version of firefox or you download the complete suite including browzer, chat, email, newsreader etc as Mozilla. See www.mozilla.org for details.
N/A

Looking at the source, the problem appears to be you've used a Microsoft-specific style (gradient or something) for the HTML <body> tag that defines your pages.

Although it looks good for me (using IE6) it's non-standard and therefore really annoying (unreadable in fact) for people who use different browsers.

My solution would be to not use any 'gradient' and set the page background to a solid colour.
N/A

check our this site
http://www.anybrowser.com/
N/A

Hi,
The problem I have though is that I have tried using a solid colour background before. Infact it was black. The problem there being is that the site looked too boring and dull. The other problem being due to the nature of the site and type of bike I have, having a different colour (eg, blue, green, red, white) as a background wouldnt suit the site at all not to mention having the dull and un-appealing effect all over again.
If there is a way in which to set the gradiant up so that it is indeed viewable on firefox, netscape, mozille, opera etc etc I would welcome the info.
Or alternatively if anyone has any suggestions about colours (bearing in mind they have to suit the site and appear appealing) I would also welcome suggestions on these aswell.
I myself use IE6 and dont bother using anything else , hence the oversite on these problems. Also I have used Dreamweaver MX to create the site and used java script to create the gradiant.

All the best and thankyou for your suggestions and opinions Tom.
michaelscott
Grafter

I think the site looks better with a white background than the gradiated one that you use. IMO, remove the gradient, make the text black and it'd look fine.