cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions pls. Is removing backup MX records a good idea?

N/A

My mail server performs RBL lookups, but I've noticed lots of spam getting in via the 'back door' - PlusNet's mail backup relay servers.

So I started thinking about why I *need* any backup MX records configured at all? Any regular mail system will retry for the most part to send e-mail over a period of 4 days, so even if my ADSL line is down for a few days I'll still get the e-mail eventually.

I'm thinking about asking PN to remove all backup MX records from my domain to help make my RBL lookups more effective so was wondering what your thoughts were on this.

If I did this I know there would be a greater delay in receiving e-mail that failed to get through due to my line being down (which is very rare btw), but I'm prepared to take that hit if it means reducing spam even before it gets in the door (Yes, I know there are *many* anti-spam solutions available and I'm currently looking at using SpamAssassin but I'd still prefer to stop as much spam as possible from even getting in the door as possible and see this as a good place to start)..

Thanks.
2 REPLIES
N/A

You are essentialy spot on with your assumptions.

The problem is, I am not sureit is possible for them to remove them on the current platform.
N/A

Well until I ask I won't know, but was just looking at pros and cons before I jumped in to request a change that may not be the best to do even if it is possible.