cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online backup services

N/A

Online backup services

Hi,

Anybody have any recommendations for an online backup service?

Main feature would be to be able to schedule automatic backups from my PC. Web access to the uploaded files would be a plus, but not essential. I need to be able to backup at least 10GB.

I signed up for a free trial of XDrive, but I have been disappointed with the reliability of the connectivity to the service over the past few days. I'm just glad I didn't sign up for the full service (50GB for $99pa) before I tried it!!

Any suggestions are gratefully received.

Cheers,

David
8 REPLIES
N/A

Online backup services

N/A

Online backup services

Don't forget that you will also have to take account of the bandwidth used.

Your allowances will be different depending upon your account type.
Community Veteran

Online backup services

Have you actually calculated how long 10GB of data will take to backup?

Remember it is the upload speed you are relying on which is much lower than your download speed.

So using an over optimistic 40KB/s upload on a Max connection, it would take many hours to upload 10GB of data, and that assumes the speed would be constant, which it won't.

Large backups over the net are not feasible, especially when you have traffic allowances.
N/A

Online backup services

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.

Online backups are feasible because any decent backup software will do incremental backups not 10GB every time. Plus, they tend to compress stuff before it's uploaded too.
The incremental backups would probably average about 100MB a night, maybe 50MB compressed.
Yes, I appreciate the first run will take ages, but I'm not going to sit and watch it.
I'm on a premier account, so bandwidth usage isn't an issue.

The BT option is more expensive than XDrive and you only get 20GB of storage - but since XDrive is unreliable, its worthless as a backup service.

At work, we use Attix5 http://www.uk.attix5.com/website/template/menu.html which works really well, but it's a B2B product and I don't know how much it costs...

Just wondered if anybody had 1st hand experience of a domestic orientated service.

Cheers,

David
N/A

Online backup services

Why online backup? To backup 10 gig on the net it would take @ 512kbps 1 Days 22 Hours 36 Minutes 12.16 Seconds and you wouldnt get that speed.

If you were just backing up a few documents its viable but the amount you want to back up is impractical. 20 mins you could back it up to dvd, 5 mins to an external hd.Is the 10 gig all vital data?

If its on a single partition or drive Acronis compresses a 20 gig drive down to a 2 gig image at high compression as I did it yesterday. This would reduce the size password protect it and greatly reduce the upload time

Both are secure and you could place the dvds at another location if needed.
N/A

Online backup services

mwright. please read the whole thread. I made a point earlier that backup software tends to do INCREMENTAL backups. It wouldn't be doing 10GB every day! 100MB on average per day.

100MB would upload in 27 Minutes 18.4 Seconds probably half that if it was compressed.

Jeez!
Community Veteran

Online backup services

I am with batcat, online backups are the way to go.

Yes the initial backup can be very time consuming, but with careful scheduling, good compression and selective choices of the files to be covered, then not impractical.

Then continue to keep the backup up-to-date with incremental changes, and traffic levels will be small.

I already use a similar backup regime within my LAN, and have been looking to compliment it with an on-line copy. But I have not been able to find a suitable service, with good Linux support.

Chilly
N/A

Online backup services

chilly,

Have you looked at Attix5? It's a java client for the desktop and they also do a server version - so I think it is pretty OS agnostic. dunno how much it costs though & we only get a paltry 2GB for our essential business data (docs, presentations etc) which is enough for work, but not my huge, growing and irreplaceable photo library....

Cheers,

David