cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On PAYG But Speeds Noticeably Slower - MAC Key Now Obtained!

Phileasfrog
Grafter

I am on PAYG and a relatively light user. I surf the web and carry out a few FTP downloads. However, of late I have noticed a distinct slow down. I have a solid 8128/448 sync (Not LLU), and an IP Profile of 7150 however I am now very lucky to achieve 1500 during peak times (last night at 22.00 I could only manage around 700 on multiple PlusNet speedtests, and this morning at 08.00, about 3000). I now rarely exceed 3500 in the off peak hours. I have in the past achieved over 6600 in the off-peak period.

My exchange is showing no local contention issues.

I have applied for and obtained a Mac Key (provided within 12 hours, - thank you Plusnet, who also offered me a free month to stay, and a free upgrade to 8Mb, even though it is all too apparent that I already have it!) - however before I use the key, I was wondering whether my experience is common within other PAYG users. Is it likely that the recent traffic profiling exercise has affected PAYG?

After a fair degree of research I am considering IDNET.... Is this still a good move or are there better? I am not interested in P2P or high traffic levels, - all I want is as consistent a high speed as possible, and to remove any possible contention within the Plusnet network which I suspect is the root cause of my problem.

Any thoughts gratefully received!
4 REPLIES
N/A

Moved to a more appropriate place for this type of discussion.
Phileasfrog
Grafter

With respect, I am surprised that you have seen fit to move this thread. I have I hope, made it clear that although | have obtained a MAC Key, I have not finally made up my mind to move. Thus I have raised several issues regarding my PAYG speed etc which I thought fitted very well into the Community Support sphere. It would seem that you, as moderator, think otherwise!!

However, if and when you move a thread, it would help to make clear exactly where you have moved it to!!
Nocturne
Grafter

For what its worth I share your sentiments.

Perhaps the VOIP and Everything Internet Forum gets fewer hits.

Like you I'm on PAYG and my problems have been with PN limiting my throughput based I believe on the Stable Rate on their Web Page showing lower values than my Profile per BT's Test Site.

This is being sorted by PN manually adjusting this figure, which I believe is essentially the Data Rate.

I think it must be the case that PN's systems are not responding to the reports they receive from BT and it begs the question why.

I too have began to suspect that with all the 'shaping' PN seem to engage in perhaps they are inadvertently effecting PAYG customers.

Like you I've been looking around and am more inclined towards Zen.
Excluding the 2 GB accounts, Idnet offer 30 GB and Zen 20 GB.
Zen's figure does not include upload [simply isn't counted - free] so this figure is not directly comparable.

Zen users are much more active and very helpful on ADSL Guide and looking at the feedback on ADSLGuide following speedtests there appears to be significantly more Zen users than Idnet involved.
To be fair Idnet get very similar feedback to Zen but there are significantly fewer of them.
Idnet's Forum seems to attract little interest.

I suspect that Zen has significantly more Home Users which may be desirable.

Zen support however, which appears to be very good, is not 24/7.
I don't know what Idnet offer.

Good luck
Phileasfrog
Grafter

Hello johngbrown.... After some deliberation I have now signed up for IDNET. ZEN was very high up the list however my needs are fairly minimal (I rarely exceed 4-5Gb per month). As you are aware, both companies offer a basic package with 2Gb included, however additional Gbs are cheaper on IDNET, and I can always upgrade to the IDNET 30Gb Home Max if I find my needs increase.

Migration is set to be completed no later than 6 pm 19 Oct so I am keeping fingers crossed for a significantly improved performance - time will tell! I shall be downgrading on PN to a dial-up account to retain the existing Email accounts, and I understand that my current referrals will continue to be paid so long as a bank account is provided.

A final point .... I phoned IDNET support tel no this morning with a query and was answered by a human being within a minute or so, - something that PN could surely learn from.

Good luck!