cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Norton Personal Firewall wont let me access the net at all!

N/A

Hi.

I have just installed Norton Personal Firewall and it stops me accessing the net completely. My modem connects okay and my connection is active, but if I run Internet Explorer I get a page not found error and no modem traffic. Even the Norton Liveupdate program cannot access the net.

If i switch the firewall off, all is well.

I have looked at the Norton site and it is not much use.

If amyone can help I would be eternally greatful

Cheers,

Rich.
8 REPLIES
N/A

u have to allow certain things out

iexplore.exe
lupdate.exe

ne how scrap Norton firewall and get sygate
N/A

Haven't I seen this post elsewhere in this Forum?? :?
N/A

This thread is part of a duplicate topic. It's twin (locked) is [ur;=http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19839&highlight=]here[/url]
N/A

As Buz said you need to allow various applications, including Internet Explorer to access the web.

If you've blocked them, you going to have to go in and re-enable them. Norton has somewhat risky feature of pre-configuration. You can run this to re-enable the access, and access to the most commonly used programs.

Aaron
N/A

Thanks, but how do I do that. Like I say, even the Liveupdate which is part of NPF can't access the net

Moderators note (John) Quote removed as it was just a complete copy of the previous post.
N/A

You could try the following link

Symantec Assistant

It's meant for issues/questions etc with Symantec products, of which Norton is.

You will need to disable your firewall for the moment to access it.

If you want an easy way, uninstall it. Run a virus scan, ad-ware scan, spy-bot etc. Re-install it. It should ask if you want to pre-configure access, in addition run though all the normal programs you use which access the net and allow them.

Aaron
N/A

I have had this posted up yonks ago. You have to turn off the norton firewall. Its werid. With it off you can view the net but you dont have that protection any more. Norton is rubbish
N/A

Norton firewall isn't too bad, there are better ones but it's good. However like all firewalls you have to enable access rights to various bits of software, some of which you might not see the need to.

The best approach is to ensure machine is clean of viruses, trojans etc, then install the firewall but don't connect to the net and then grant access to all the programs that pop up.

Connect to the net and then run IE, anti-virus updates etc and allow them.

A lot of programs including Norton self configure access for common programs, which can make life easier. However if your machine is not clean before the install, then you might end up giving access to a virus/trojan, spyware etc.

Aaron