cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Norton Internet Security Issue

worcsdave
Grafter

Hi - can anyone suggest any reasons for the following?

With Norton inteterne security enabled, web pages do not load. When I disable it, they do.

It was all working OK until about an hour ago - so what could have happened?!

Any suggestions welcome!

Cheers
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

reinstall it as it looks like it has become corrupted.
worcsdave
Grafter

how do i do that?
Community Veteran

Go to the control panel and select "Add and Remove programs"
remove Norton re boot your PC and then insert the Norton CD to re-install.
N/A

This happend with me so i total got rid of it. I use trendmicro now
N/A

you know it could be that its just blocking web 80 out? and he hit the "deny" when "iexplore.exe" came up to ask to leave his box. and trendmicro sucks ass

Buz
lowry
Grafter

Norton Internet Security and other Norton subscription products can be difficult to remove and often leave lots of leftover 'bits' on your computer.

Often this is to stop people uninstalling something like Norton Anti-Virus and re-installing to try and get another free 12 months subscription! If it is Norton Internet Security 2003, a removal tool can be found here. Don't use this on 2004 or later versions.

I have found McAfee products to be good (the latest versions at least) but there are plenty of free alternatives too:
I have heard mixed reports about Trend Micro's software. It's online 'Housecall' scanner is very good though.

matt Wink
Community Veteran

I have heard mixed reports about Trend Micro's software. It's online 'Housecall' scanner is very good though.

The scanner bit is quite good but when it comes to removing viruses then it seems to fail miserably.

I still find the the Free AVG to be one of the best but beware that version 6 is ending after December 2004 and you will need to download version 7 after that date (still free) Cheesy
worcsdave
Grafter

Thanks for all this info and tips. I seem to have some sort of 'compromise' situation at the moment; I've disabled the Norton firewall (risky?) and am hoping that the Windows XP firewall will be providing a safety net there. What do you think? Is this a safe way to proceed. :?:

Cheers

Dave
Community Veteran

No.
N/A

Do you have both firerwalls enabled at the same time?

In theory, you should disable the XP firewall when norton is running.
N/A

XP Firewall also has some bugs in it, so even when it's disabled it still can block traffic. However I'm not sure would affect you (the person who raised this topic).

I would download a free firewall, either Kerio Cheesy or one of the others suggested previously by Lowry (Matt), and disable XP Firewall.
worcsdave
Grafter

Ok - this is what I think I'll do! Disable Norton Firewall, and Windows firewall, and download free firewall - and see how that goes!

Seems so bizarre that a product like Norton can be so tricky to set up and get working in synch with everything else. But I guess that's life...

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions! Cheesy
N/A

hope u do it in a diff order mate

keep the firewalls up
download kero
go offline
unistalll firewalls
install kiro