Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Norton Internet Security 2005 e-mail sending prob

pipscouse
Dabbler

Hi All
I noticed the posts below regarding norton 2005 and the recommendations to ditch it but.....
My specific prob is I can receive e-mail but not send any. I am convinced this is Norton playing up. Have tried turning outgoing and incoming scanning off as well as worm blocking but still no joy. Is there a way to fix this without uninstalling the prog? Any advice gratefully received
pip
10 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

What messages do you get when it fails, when trying to send a message? what e-mail client are you using?
pipscouse
Dabbler

Doh! Outlook Express 6 mate.
An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'test', Account: 'mail.plus.net', Server: 'relay.plus.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B
Using Norton Internet Security 2005. Formatted hard disk recently and upgraded to NIS 2005 hence the probs I think.
pip
N/A

Hi there,

This is a fairly common problem

See here for further info.
pipscouse
Dabbler

Thanks mark. Tried that site before but not much help. Either no relevant hits or thousands depending on key words. I don't even see an option to alter Norton firewall settings when I open the programme but XP Security centre tells me it os a Norton firewall that is active. Bloody thing!!!!!!!! Why are these things never in plain EnglishHuh? I would have thought that Symantec would know by now that loads of people are having this problem and just issue either a fix or a patch to correct it that simple folk like me could actually make sense of.
LiamM
Grafter

Can you switch off the Firewall completely? I would download and install ZoneAlarm. It's Free to use, better than Norton Personal Firewall (imo) and should solve the problem.
N/A

I use Norton IS 2005 on all my home networked PCs.

I had a similar problem last night in that I could neither send nor receive email, although other family members could do so.

I twigged it had to be an IS problem, turned it off for a moment (NAT router so should be pretty safe) and hey presto - email.

I tried modifying IS but it kept crashing so I had to uninstall and reinstall it. Since then I've been problem free again. (Let me know if you have trouble uninstalling it. It can be a trying process!)

If you just want to alter the firewall settings then select: Options/Norton Internet Security from the top of the main window or click on Norton Internet Security on the left hand side, then on configure.
N/A

NAT router so should be pretty safe

Nat only really hides your computer(s) ip addreses by translation and makes it difficult to gain access to them from the internet. It doesn't however stop any viruses or spyware which may infect your machine gaining access to the web, hence the need for a software firewall as well.
pipscouse
Dabbler

Thanks guys

Cheers for the advice. I'll have another go but am inclined to bin the whole prog. More trouble than it's worth!
N/A

Nat only really hides your computer(s) ip addreses by translation and makes it difficult to gain access to them from the internet. It doesn't however stop any viruses or spyware which may infect your machine gaining access to the web

Viruses and spyware in MY machine? I think not. :roll:
N/A

kptechnology, I didn't actually say your machine was infected at all, I simply stated that if it were, then the virus etc, would have free reign to get to the internet.