cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Norton Internet Security 2003

N/A

Hi
I have just installed my Binatone ADSL500 and connected.
All seems to be fine except when I tried Norton's Online Security Test.
Although the checker could not connect to my computer, it said that my ports were not stealthed.
As the Firewell is set to stealth unused ports I am wondering what could have happened (or is there something obvious I have forgotten).

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Jeremy
10 REPLIES
N/A

lo,dont think its possible to stealth all ports,you are allways going to have some open and the vast majority of them closed.i would be more concerned about the open ones,as long as they are all being used for legitamate purposes you have little to worry about.i have installed a port blocker which by default blocks ports 21,25,80,110,119.the log records any probe to these ports as well.port 135 is blocked by plusnet due to recent virii across there network.
http://grc.com has a more in depth analysis of firewall scanning,port problems and so on,also has a firewall leak test,which i havent tried yet but intend to.
N/A

Thanks for the info.
I will check it out.
N/A

I have tried "Shields Up!" from the link above and have received practically the same results as the Norton scanner.Ports are blocked but not stealthed as they used to be.
Also the Norton Firewall did not even register any attempted connections from "Shields Up" even though it blocked them (for now?).
Something has changed in the functionality of my Firewall.
If, as I am tempted to do, I decide to install Zone Alarm instead , will it be compatible with Norton Antivirus or will I need a new AV program as well?

I have also been having random errors at Start up (not always) either regarding a component of Norton Antivirus or some other member of the start up group always regarding Kernel 32.dll or kernel386.dll.
As it seems to be a start up conflict ,I have removed several items from my start up list to see if this helps.

Sometimes when I first try to open IE (5.1) I get a message that IE has performed an illegal operation and one or more windows will be shut down.

If I get a good start up without crsahing the PC or IE,all browsing speeds/behaviour are fine and the bandwidth test results are good.

All these issues appear to have started since I installed the new Modem.
P.S Although Windows Shuts Down ok , my PC has stopped powering off automatically since I installed the modem (I have to manually push the power switch).

Any help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks
Jeremy
N/A

boogieshoes:
What type of modem do you have?

If you have a router, then this is why. All incoming connection attempts are terminated at the router, and not at your PC where norton is.

As such, you need to be looking into the firewall of the router for help in stealthing your system.

Norton should not be rendered as obsolete though. It is always pretty handy to have a backup incase of a configuration mistake.

If on the otherhand, you are not using a router, or you normaly see blocks within Norton, then you should be lookin to see if shields up tested the right IP.
Community Veteran

Philip, it's a Binatone 500 USB - see first post - so it is the Norton firewall that is not working..

I suspect it is still a config issue on NIS which is responding to certain ports rather than staying silent. Have you checked the Symatec support site?

What port numbers is it saying are not stealthed?

As for your startup issues I suggest uninstalling Norton firewall and NAV, reboot then reinstalling them using default settings. Then update them via LiveUpdate. I also recommend you upgrade to IE6 because there are many security issue with IE5.1. You should also upgrade Outlook Express to 6 atthe same time.

I would also uninstall and reinstall the modem drivers.

ZA is compatible with NAV as I use both.
N/A

Thanks for your advice everyone.
I have now upgraded to IE 6 sp1/Outlook Express 6.

I will hopefully uninstall and reinstall NIS etc at the weekend but am worried about my "always on" connection whilst I am unprotected.

Should I unplug my modem's USB cable whilst all this is happening and reactivate my dial-up connection ?(I recall, from the last time I reinstalled NIS , that Norton tried to access the Internet during the installation process to connect to Verisign).

Thanks again

Jeremy
Community Veteran

It depends on whether a reboot is performed after the initial firewall install in which case it will be running when you restart so should be OK. If your not sure unplug the ADSL and use the modem as you suggest. Although the chances of being compromised is very slim.
N/A

I tried all the above suggestions at the weekend and the system appears much more stable.IE 6 particularly is a great improvement.
However, I still only get blocked not stealthed ports on the firewall.
I am wondering if there is an incompatability problem with NIS and the Binatone drivers.
To be perfectly honest, I think it might be time for a complete change of system.
I have had this same computer system for nearly 5 years without a single upgrade and it is beginning to show it's age.
It's a 650 AMD Athlon Time computer with 128 meg ram with a 26.5gb hard drive running Windows 98SE.

I am considering a new system running XP ,preferably with an ethernet card so that I can use a router with a built in Firewall.

Until then I hope that the blocked ports are secure enough whilst I prepare to buy my next computer.

Many thanks
Jeremy
Community Veteran

Blocked ports are exactly that blocked. The only difference between blocked and stealthed is a blocked port indicates there is a PC or system of some sort doing the blocking - i.e. something responded to the connection request so the IP is valid - so whatever is trying to connect may keep trying. A stealthed port looks like nothing is there (i.e. the IP address is not used) so the whatever is trying to connect will assume the IP address is not in use and tryu elsewhere.

Either way, your firewall is doing it's job.
N/A

Norton Internet Security Installation

boogieshoes said:
Thanks for your advice everyone.
I have now upgraded to IE 6 sp1/Outlook Express 6.

I will hopefully uninstall and reinstall NIS etc at the weekend but am worried about my "always on" connection whilst I am unprotected.

I had big problems getting NIS to work properly about 9 months ago (after I'd messed things up by trying to run PCCillin 2003 and ZoneAlarm Plus together!!). It can be a devil to get right but is well worth persevering as its protection is comprehensive and you do know that the firewall and virus checker are compatible!

I'm running Windows 2000 and had to completely uninstall everything Norton (including registry entries), and reinstall with a completely clean machine. Sad The good thing was that Symantec were ultra-helpful and the detailed instructions - from their support people as well as web pages - were first-rate Cheesy As an example see the info on this link -
Title: "How to uninstall Norton Internet Security or Personal Firewall using the Rnis.exe removal utility"
Document ID: 2001090510510636

This is the Web URL

This was one of about 6 stages they explained to me in detail so my advice is to contact them and follow their instructions to the letter. Do remember that they only apply to Win 2K & that the instructions for XP etc might differ.
If Jeremy wants to PM me I'll copy some of the emails to him.

John B

PlusNet ADSL Satisfied Customer