cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie confused about VoIP on Premier account... help!

N/A

Hello!
I've only recently got broadband, and have just settled in to using that, and now I want to take a look at VoIP. What's confusing me is that when you sign up for a Premier account, it says that you can do a certain amount of VoIP for free - but when I start looking through the website to find out about VoIP, it seems to imply I need to pay for a VoIP account.

Perhaps I'm being obtuse, but I don't want to change my landline contract with BT at the moment, thanks, and VoIP is something I just want to try out, at this juncture - would probably only use it on rare occasions. Would like to try out VoIP with some kind of simultaneous webcam setup, too, if possible. I thought prior to this that with VoIP you just get the software and hardware and off you go, so long as you don't abuse your ISP's fair use usage caps. Is that not so?

Esme
4 REPLIES
N/A

Just click on the Broadband Phone link in Your Account Details and it will activate your account as 'Pay and Pray'. You do not have to add money.

I'm afraid Plusnet's VoIP service can not be recommended at the present, even as a test thing, due to reliability problems, try Voipuser.org or Voiptalk.org
N/A

I'm terribly sorry, but all I got from that was that you don't reccomend Plunet's VoIP service at the moment. Fair enough, but it doesn't answer my question. Or if it does, it does so in a way that I do not understand. But thank you for trying to be helpful, anyway! :-)
N/A

If you log into 'Member Centre' of the Plusnet Portal.

On the left side of the screen is a link to Account Details.

Click on that and on the second row of icons in the middle is one to Activate Broadband Phone.

As far as I recall it does not ask for account type, though it will suggest you ought to upgrade. You will however have to apply for a telephone number.
N/A

just use Skype