cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New ZoneAlarm 5 Problems?

bobgidden
Grafter

I had IE6 freezing repeatedly after upgrading ZoneAlarm Free from 4.5 to 5 today (the upgrade was released two days ago).

A web search revealed quite a number of wails from various forums, incuding one passing reference in ours here

I think this is worthy of greater publicity until ZA sort it out, particularly as ZA usually offers repeatedly to update itself.

If you have updated and are having problems, it is suggested that you do a 'clean' uninstall of ZA5, reboot, and re-install ZA4.5 from here

Regards,

BobG.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Apart from the IE lockup issues there are also problems if you try to install ZA v5 on systems that have McAfee or trend Micro firewalls installed.

That is just two (three) of the major issues with the current release. This also applies to the free version although the Pro version has more problems due to it's new virus detection capabilities.

As a result of the volume of complaints / problems with V5, it has been pulled from auto-update until the major problems have been sorted out.

For more info I sugest you visit the zonelabs forum and look under installation & upgrade among many others.

You can also find info on the following newsfeed: news.grc.com under latestversions or software groups.
N/A

I was unlucky enough to be running ZAPro and PCCillin. They are now both history!!

I've decided to rely on my router firewall + dropping all icmp requests and I've got AVG installed and do regular S&D and AdAware scans.

It's quite an eye opener how much better my laptop is running but I'm just wondering whether to install some sort of trojan detection to make up for the fact that I now don't have anything watching my outgoing connections - anybody got any thoughts ? (sorry for wandering off topic slightly)
Community Veteran

As you were happy to run ZA before just download and use v4.5 which should work fine. You can then wait until ZoneLabs either crash and burn or fix their very long list of problems with V5.

A hardware firewall is only as good as the person who configured it Wink While I am sure you know exactly what you are doing, I would always recommend having a 2nd line of defence on the PC itself.

You can download ZA v4.5 (free or pro) here in section G.
bobgidden
Grafter

I know you were replying to 'longedge' here :

As you were happy to run ZA before just download and use v4.5 which should work fine

but I did just that after my experience described above, and in spite of following the instructions for a clean removal of ZA5, when I put 4.5 back in it still caused the same problems which were cured totally by hacking that out too and putting Kerio Free in its place.

In my view it's always been rather a toss-up between ZA and Kerio, so I'm now happy with a different icon in my SysTray Smiley

Regards,

BobG
Community Veteran

In my view it's always been rather a toss-up between ZA and Kerio, so I'm now happy with a different icon in my SysTray Smiley

You and probably hundreds of others as a result of the mess ZoneLabs have got themselves into Wink

So far - touch wood - I have V5 running fine (I don't have any of the conflicting software installed) but I do wish they would stop adding the additional bloatware they insist on crowbaring in and fixing multiple times. Ho Hum...
N/A

Peter, you said -
A hardware firewall is only as good as the person who configured it

The user configuration for my Belkin modem/router firewall consists of On or Off, so it's not really technically challenging :lol: .

However, since I bought it at Christmas up to a couple of days ago when I uninstalled ZAPro I hadn't had one intrusion attempt picked up by ZA whereas previously when I was still using my PCI modem and relying on ZA, it was picking up attempts sometimes at the rate of dozens an hour. The router logs don't show many attempts either ( probably 1 or 2 a day) so I guess that blocking ICMP requests must be a good first line of defence and presumably these aren't shown in the log.

I'm not complacent, but I haven't seen any evidence that ZA was doing me any good whereas I've seen plenty that it was doing me harm - and costing me money to boot :!:
bobgidden
Grafter

I see that the latest ZA version (21 June, 5.0.590.043)
is _still_ buggy Cry

See :
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board?board.id=inst

Regards,

BobG
N/A

I had problems with ZA too so I ditched it and now use sygate personal firewall instead