cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear wireless - it phones home!

N/A

Just a quick heads up for anyone with a netgear wireless access point (WG602) or possibly any netgear routing product...

This device phones home! I've just been combing through my logs (after filtering out all the meaningless Blaster/Naichi noise!) and my wireless access point makes two attempts (a few seconds apart) every day to connect via UDP port 69 (tftp protocol) to the ip address 194.90.113.99 which I've never heard of and has no reverse DNS.

I've no idea what it is doing (trying to update its own firmwareHuh), I shall try and catch it in the act tomorrow and see what it is requesting but this is one access point for which I'll be blocking access to the internet Cheesy !

Charles.
8 REPLIES
N/A

That's very odd, the IP you mentioned is in no way affiliated with Netgear. It appears to be a residential IP. Very suspicious.

Do you have up to date virus software on your PC, and are you running a firewall?
Community Veteran

Tapping in the IP address just takes me to www.jungo.com. It's apparently some software used by gateways/routers, so that would explain why your Netgear is "phoning home".

Thomas
N/A

Interesting...they seem to be part of the driver development for the Netgear WAP.
N/A

Well fortunately my wireless access point is not my router, so I have a chance to firewall this connection off. (My router is not a netgear!)

People with netgears used as a router with its own ip address may not be so lucky. As this is originating from the device itself it is impossible to know whether this firmware 'feature' can be disabled or if it bypasses any firewall features that it might have.

Sad

Charles.
N/A

I would ask Netgear for an answer, they might know howto disable it too.
N/A

OK, this morning I waited for my netgear Wireless Access Point to do its secret thing and it didn't do it! After many weeks of doing it at or around 9am it didn't do anything!

... well, not until 2pm ... weird.

Anyway I captured all of what it did and in detail it does the following:

It looks up the DNS name "update.jungo.com" using the default DNS server (in my case as supplied by my DHCP server). It then attempts a tftp (udp port 69) file read (RRQ) of a file called "openrg.rmt".

As far as I can work out update.jungo.com never replies, indeed I can't successfully ping or traceroute it so perhaps they've firewalled it off after getting to many netgears phoning home!

I shall give netgear support a call tomorrow if I get the chance.
N/A

Yeah, that sounds like it's trying to auto-update it's drivers. Just odd that there's no (apparent) option to turn it off.
N/A

You may find this interesting. How closely it is related to your issues, I'm not sure, though!

http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-5068035.html?tag=fd_top

- Mike