cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear FVS318

N/A

Netgear FVS318

I've have an FVS318 firewall/router to keep the nasties at bay, so far so good. There is an option to have the security logs mailed to an email address, this I think I've set up correctly as it only needs the outgoing SMTP server details and I assume I can have them emailed to my plus.net email so it points to relay.plus.net; however, I don't see anything in my mail - anyone else running Netgear equipment with the same facility?
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Netgear FVS318

Same issue with DG814, I set it up to send a daily email of the logs at mid-day and got very few emails so I turned it off. I've done this with 2 ISPs (i.e 2 SMTP servers) and it did the same inconsistant sending for both so I suspect it's a Netgear thing :roll:

I'm not sure you really need an email of the logs. I only use it when I suspect there is troble on my line but mainly leave it to it's own devices and NAT blocking.
N/A

Netgear FVS318

Cheers for that, guess I'll switch it off and rely on good old copy and paste to generate info for the abuse team Wink
Community Veteran

Netgear FVS318

Mine allows me to request the logs are emailed 'now' so maybe try that if you have that option.
N/A

Netgear FVS318

You need
The email address you want to send to
The mail server - relay.plus.net (as you have done)
Mail server login & password.

If you have not recieved any mail from the router showing intrusions, be thankful. You can always log into the router and check the log manually to make sure you have no intrusions.

My personal feeling on this email log function is that it is a bad think and only makes people paranoid about every little TCP ping.
Community Veteran

Netgear FVS318

Mail server login & password.

Not for SMTP which is what the router uses to send mail. Only required for retrieving email.
N/A

Netgear FVS318

Correct, no authentication is required to send mail ... just shows I don't use it.
N/A

Netgear FVS318

My personal feeling on this email log function is that it is a bad think and only makes people paranoid about every little TCP ping.

Probably true, but with the recent increase in portscans from PlusNet clients, the abuse team need reports, only then will they be able to educate our fellow members Smiley
N/A

Netgear FVS318

Cheers for that, guess I'll switch it off and rely on good old copy and paste to generate info for the abuse team Wink

Perfectly adequate and doesn't bombard you with emails.