cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DG834GT & Zyxel 2000w

N/A

Has anyone got this combination working?

I have entered settings into the phone as per the setting up Zyxel 2000w thread on this forum but it ain't working at all, not even registering although the wireless settings are all correct and it is connecting with the router.

I have rung up Zyxel and they suggest upgrading the firmware on the Netgear to one which includes sip Application Layer Gateway but none of the firmware versions on Netgear's site mention this support. (I rang netgear but the "support professional" didn't have a clue what I was talking about and just said "try them all one by one")

If anyone has managed to successfully use this combination I would appreciate knowing:

a) The Netgear DG834GT firmware version
b) The Zyxel 2000w firmware version
c) The sip settings you are using on the phone (proxy server ID, proxy ID, etc etc)
18 REPLIES
N/A

I do not believe you will get any SIP-based telephone adaptor to work on the DG834* netgears... sorry Sad
N/A

B**g*r.

Time for a new router then.

Thought I might get a Zyxel as it is the same make as the phone, anyone know if they are any good?
N/A

Hi there,

Zyxel are giving you a bit of duff info tbh.

The 2000w will work with any wireless AP and the netgear will certainly not give you any grief. It will work out of the box if both devices are correctly configured.

The 2000W connects to your 834G like any other network device, providing the phone is configured correctly.

In addition, the netgear firewall needs to be configured with the correct ports and services. Finally the SIP config also needs to be confirmed and double checked.

I very strongly suspect that your config is the issue and not the netgear router tbh.

What firmware version are you running in the netgear?

Some of the info from the Zyxel 2002 config page may be of help too. Link
N/A

netgear (or at least certainly their consumer units) do not implement any SIP ALG. Even if he was to put the ATA in the Netgear's DMZ it still wont work.

Granted, I've only ever tried this with the PlusTalk SIP service and not with any other, so it may just be a PlusTalk issue.
N/A

From reading the 2000w manual, the eu configures the SIP phone like any other wireless network device. The phone handles the SIP config, not the router.

I wondered if the OP had opened the necessary ports on the router?

A have configured ATA's using all manner of Netgear consumer routers without issue. I am currently using the Zyxel 2002 with a DG834G without any diffs.
N/A

It definitely isn't connecting fully as the web configuration for the phone isn't working, it iwill open and show settings, even receive changes but when I try to save or apply changes they revert back to the previous settings.

That to me sounds more like an issue with the phone than the router tbh.

In terms of ports. UDP 5060 and 8000 are what I have currently opened, though for your set up, I think 5060 should be enough.

The Zyxel guide linked to earlier should give you the necessary ports.

However, if the phone wont save the config then you may still have problems. Sad
N/A

I am using firmware version 1.02.04, this being the latest on the Netgear support page for the router.

I have added a new service called VoIP on port 5060 and have forwarded it to the phone. Are there any other ports that need to be opened?

It definitely isn't connecting fully as the web configuration for the phone isn't working, it iwill open and show settings, even receive changes but when I try to save or apply changes they revert back to the previous settings.
N/A

Hopefully you will get it working as I am looking at buying a 2002, and I have a DG834GT Router.

As Far as I understand though, the protocol should not matter in the router as the router will just route the traffic to the ATA.

So fingers crossed!!
N/A

Mmmh. The forum issues have thown up an anomily again.

My reply to flann actually appears before his post. Well odd. Sad

@cddsystems. The 2002 is a doddle to set up with the Netgear kit, and if you follow Plus Nets online guide, you'll be up and running in no time.

Go for the 2002. Its sweet. Smiley
N/A

Excelent!!

I assume you have This One, as I have noticed there are a couple of 2002 or are they same?
N/A

pcsni,

I have emailed Zyxel user help about the web configuration problem to see if they have an answer to it.

Although the page you linked to was for a different piece of Zyxel equipment, it was interesting to see the actual addres of sip.plus.net given as 84.92.5.189 (which I didn't know) and more interesting that it was recommending entering it in that format rather than entering the text address. The phone is on charge at the moment following all my attempts to sort it out and will try that when it has finished.
N/A

I assume you have This One,

Yes indeed. Thats the one. I have Smiley

The 2002L has the additional feature of "lifeline" whereby there is an additional port on the ATA to connect your analogue line. This gives a fail over to analogue should the adsl service go down.

@flann. Yes, thats why I included that link. Although for the 2002, it has some useful info which I thought may have been of benefit.

Hopefully you can get this sorted.
N/A

I have been furiously reading any forums I can find regarding the Netgear router and using a sip phone.

Another thing I will try (desperation now!) is setting the phone, which is on a fixed IP address, as a DMZ.
N/A

Still getting nowhere fast so have bought a Prestige 660w/HW61 router off eBay and hopefully when that arrives I will be finally able to connect the phone. If I still have problems at least I will be able to dump them all in the lap of Zyxel technical help!