cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DG834GT & Standard Phone

N/A

I'm new to VoIP so I have a few questions.

Is it possible for me to use PlusTalk with the Netgear DG834GT router? (i.e. without having to keep a computer on) I don't really want to buy another router.

If so, is it possible to use standard phones with VoIP, via some sort of adapter?

Thanks in advance.
15 REPLIES
N/A

PlusNet support told me that I need an adapter or purchase a new router itself. i went for the adpater and it arrives tomorrow, hopefully..I will let you know how I get on!?!?

Link for adapter is:

You would need either the router at 89.99 or the adapter at 74.99. Detail follow. Adapter: http://shop.plus.net/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=144&option=...

Router: http://www.plus.net/products/hardware/voice/voice_router_kit.shtml

You use your normal handset with either of the above, as you would normally.

Apparently you can then use a normal handset!
N/A

You need an ATA (Analogue Telephone Adaptor) to use a standard phone with VoIP. I use the Linksys PAP2, which can be purchased for £44.14 from Broadbandbuyer.co.uk - http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=2222.

Tim
N/A

thanks for your replies guys.

You need an ATA (Analogue Telephone Adaptor) to use a standard phone with VoIP. I use the Linksys PAP2, which can be purchased for £44.14 from Broadbandbuyer.co.uk - http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=2222.

Tim

so do you use PlusTalk with this adapter?
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Oh dear. I hope they have done something major to the firmware because the version which is currently available is full of bugs. Plus it's jumped up £5 in price in the past few weeks. Good luck.

PlusNet support told me that I need an adapter or purchase a new router itself. i went for the adpater and it arrives tomorrow, hopefully..I will let you know how I get on!?!?

Link for adapter is:

You would need either the router at 89.99 or the adapter at 74.99. Detail follow. Adapter: http://shop.plus.net/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=144&option=...

Router: http://www.plus.net/products/hardware/voice/voice_router_kit.shtml

You use your normal handset with either of the above, as you would normally.

Apparently you can then use a normal handset!
N/A

Yes, I have Line 1 set up for SIPDiscount and Line 2 for PlusTalk.

Tim
N/A

Yes, I have Line 1 set up for SIPDiscount and Line 2 for PlusTalk.

Tim

ah good, at least i know it's tried and tested. thanks.
N/A

Don't forget though that if you want to be able to still receive and make calls on using your existing analogue service (and avoid giving people a 0845 number to call) you should go for an adapter that has PSTN passthrough e.g. Grandstream Handytone 486. As far as I know the Linksys PAP adapter available from www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk does not have this and neither does the router recommended by PlusTalk.
N/A

oh right, this has taken a frightening turn.

so i cant continue to use my normal phone service, and just use voip whenever i like?

i'd like to keep my BT analogue service, but use PlusTalk at evenings and weekends. if anyone calls, it should go through the BT copper line at all times. how can i achieve this?
N/A

If you want to use the Linksys PAP2, you will have to have a separate telephone handset for VoIP calls. If you want to use the same handset for both VoIP and PSTN calls, you will have to look at something like the Grandstream HandyTone 386/486/488.

Tim
N/A

oh right sorry, i was planning to use different phones right from the start.

i'll probably just have one phone connected to the PAP2, just for voip, and all my other phones connected to the BT line.

thanks for your help guys, i really appreciate it.

(i am new to voip, but since we're getting our entire house rewired next year, i wanted to make sure i would be equipped for voip in the future)
N/A

Sorry I forgot to mention that it really depends on your needs! - Of course you can use one phone for VOIP and one for POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service); its just that a lot of people may be planning to use VOIP on their main and only house phone and if you have no other phones connected up in the house then you will not be able to receive or make calls on analogue without the pass-through.

Sorry to confuse the matter - I know it takes a while to get your head around this VOIP stuff at the start but once you have it figured out you can take full advantage of the infancy of the technology now and make great savings!
N/A

would you say that VoIP only really benefits those that use it all the time?

someone said to me that going half way, i.e. using voip sometimes, and using POTS sometimes, doesnt really give you the full benefit of cheap calls.

but voip is still in a transition peroid - there's a lot of work to do. people arent going to take it up if it's as complicated as this to get started. this is why i dont really want to convert to voip completely.
N/A

would you say that VoIP only really benefits those that use it all the time?

No, I use VoIP for my outgoing calls, and the BT line for my incoming ones.

Tim
N/A

Not sure where you're up to and apologies of you're sorted but just so you know I am fully up and VoIPing as it were, with a Netgear DG834GT and a Grandstream 496. The sound quality is excellent, it works when the PC is off and I am hopefully about to reduce my phone bill.

Cheesy