cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DG834 VPN

N/A

Netgear DG834 VPN

Has anyone successfully set up a working VPN connection using Windows XP VPN Server and a Netgear DG834? I keep getting Error 721, it simply does not authenticate. Help! Cry
19 REPLIES
N/A

Netgear DG834 VPN

What MTU are you using, as I've read somewhere that lowering can sometimes do the trick.

Aaron
N/A

Netgear DG834 VPN

Yes, I read that too somewhere. It was something about the packet header being too large. :shock: My MTU is 1478. Any suggestions as to how much smaller to reduce it to?
N/A

Netgear DG834 VPN

Hmmm, good question really, Try 1450 or 1420 , just remember to adjust your PC and all the settings around it as well.

Aaron
Community Veteran

Netgear DG834 VPN

1458 & 1430 are the more common settings and don't forget to adjust your RWIN to match. See MTU tweak.
N/A

Netgear DG834 VPN

I've tried all sorts of combinations, nothing seems to make a blind bit of difference. Cry I still get Error 721: The remote computer did not respond.
Community Veteran

Netgear DG834 VPN

Are you running any firewalls?

Disable any software firewall and if running XP, disable the windows firewall as well and see if that helps.
N/A

Netgear DG834 VPN

I have already disabled software firewalls, I have opened Port 1723 on my router, according to the logs it forwards the packets to my machine, but the VPN software (courtesy of Microsoft) doesn't respond.
N/A

Netgear DG834 VPN

Ideally, I need to know values of MTU and RWIN which work on somebody else's computer who has got VPN working, so that I can eliminate this possible cause.
N/A

Netgear DG834 VPN

Any Joy? I've not used a VPN but I will be soon for connecting into work. I'll ask a few guys from the computer room in work who setup the laptops to work with VPNs if the have any ideas.

Aaron
N/A

Netgear DG834 VPN

Nope, it's still a complete mystery. The router is forwarding the packets to the correct client, according to the router logs, but the software (MS VPN Server) doesn't respond. Cry
N/A

Netgear DG834 VPN

Could it be a problem at the other end? rather than with your machine?
N/A

Netgear DG834 VPN

Possibly, but I doubt it. I shall ask our tekkies if they block incoming VPN packets.

Nice avatar, by the way, gadgetboy!
N/A

Netgear DG834 VPN

Hi could be their firewall is only set to allow connections on certain ports, or certain IP addys. From what you have said I can't see much more than you can do really.

Nice avatar, by the way, gadgetboy!
Thanks lol

Aaron
N/A

Netgear DG834 VPN

Well, Netgear have told me that they are sure it is not the router which is at fault. In fact, if I log any outgoing VPN packets, none are logged. So the Microsoft VPN Server software is not responding. Could be an XP SP2 issue!