cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NameServer / DNS setting

thePhoolish
Grafter

NameServer / DNS setting

I've set up DNS on my server, and I have a www (A) record for my domain pointing to my website on this server.

How do I get the domain name to go to my DNS server for looking up the www record?

basically, where do I point the Nameserver records for the domain?
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

NameServer / DNS setting

Where is the domain hosted and where do you host your website - I assume you mean the normal PlusNet webspace? If you tell us the domain we can help further.

Chris
thePhoolish
Grafter

NameServer / DNS setting

The domain is with fasthosts, and the webspace & DNS is on a server, with a static IP,
Community Veteran

NameServer / DNS setting

I assume you mean a server hosted on your own internal network?

Chris
thePhoolish
Grafter

NameServer / DNS setting

yes, it's on my internal network but it has it's own fixed external IP (not a 192 etc), so basically all I need is the <domain>.co.uk, to look at my DNS on this IP, so It can look up the A records for that domain name, and forward users onto the website on that server.
N/A

NameServer / DNS setting

Try this link to the pic of my domain settings. Took me a few goes to get it right, with a Tech Support finally correcting it.

http://www.nryonline.co.uk/images/myDomainSettings.jpg

This is happily running from my home server so it is possible!

I'm presuming you have a static IP from plus.net and the domain is the one registered with plus.net otherwise I don't think you can configure it through the portal.

I've obviously wiped my personal static IP!

hth

nry
thePhoolish
Grafter

NameServer / DNS setting

na.. I don't want the domain's records to be held by a host, but to be able to insert records on my DNS server to control the domain..
benoh
Grafter

NameServer / DNS setting

first of all you must create "host" records with your registrar (the place that you registered your domain through should be able to help there)

these will be for

ns1.domain.co.uk [IP of ns 1]
ns2.domain.co.uk [IP of ns 2]

Then request that the nameservers on your domain are changed to ns1 and ns2.domain.co.uk, again with your registrar and thats it. Wait 24-48 hours for the records to propogate and make sure you've got zone files in place for your domain on your local nameserver (remember to disable axfr transfers and external querying of the cache - dont want to waste bandwidth)
thePhoolish
Grafter

NameServer / DNS setting

sorry for the delay in posting.

I'm sure I've set it up right, but I think ISA server is throwing a spanner in.
My mate will be moving the ISA over to another server soon, so I'll see if that fixes it. :roll: