cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Name and Shame for Users with Viruses and NO FIREWALL!!

N/A

Hello,

I've had a hit against my router from a plus net user without any sort of firewall
:shock:

The user shall remain nameless, but since there seems little that can be done, maybe naming and shaming them here on the portal or forums might have some effect.

I wouldn't normally go for such extreme measures and while it doesn't affect me directly, I sort of feel obliged to help people out.

What are other people's views?

A
65 REPLIES
N/A

I doubt they even know this forum exist.... Cheesy
N/A

Indeed. What good will naming and shaming do?

I can see the naming side of things, but shaming?

Users do not have authority over other users, so it does little other than tally up which names are infected.

There is no shame in being infected, it is more what is done once you know.

The only authority that can inform the customer is PlusNet
N/A

I'm aware of what your saying and I'm not try to advocate this with any malice or ill will involved.

People need to understand the importance of virus checkers, firewalls etc. If they don't check their mail (as required to, by PN T&C) , then maybe naming then might make a difference.

I agree many people don't know this whole forum exists and maybe shaming was the wrong choice of words. But what does it take to get people to see and understand?

Or should I just go quietly and accept that I cannot help these people from themselves?
N/A

If these people do not look at their emails, I doubt they will ever look at the forum.
Of the users who have appeared in my router log, I have only ever seen one appear on these forums, and that was after I pointed him to the "disconnect those with viruses" thread.
So, I doubt if naming anyone will do anything at all.
N/A

Yes. users need educating.

But there lies the problem. How?

If they didn't get the idea from, or didn't bother reading the terms and conditions, then you have already lost the battle before you start fighting.

PlusNet can't name them. That would mean they are not being impartial to the situation.

I can see the idea that naming the users may make us feel better, but does it do anything pro-active?

Does it educate them? Does it make them clean there system? Does it make any legal progress?

Those questions go out the window, unless the users are able to see their name on the list.

The only real way to win this war, is for PlusNet to get heavy on the reports. However, that gives the ISP a bad image.

Back to the question of educations. How?

1: Mass newsletter, giving advice
No: If they aint reading the abuse reports, why bother with a newsleter that is considered spam by some.

2: User cutoff
No: Bad image

3: Name and shame
No: Where does it get you if they don't read it, and when they do, they just shrug it off.
N/A

Hi,

Well i have just gone thru my restricted users list and reverse DNS looked up there IP's all of the IP i tracked was 80.229.xx.xx.
On each IP i copied and pasted there IP's and user names, there are 48 people on my restricted list from the IP range of 80.229.xx.xx

On each time these lame none Anti Virus/none firewall fools have port scanned me like 1000 odd times in X amount of mintutes, seriously lags me up when im online playin a game i plug (lag) everytime they repeat scan me due there PC's being infected.

Im will to post the traces i have just done. First off tho im gona send these report traces to the abuse team.

Gota say they must be pretty sad to have a PC without any security measures in this day and age.

I used this webby http://remote.12dt.com/rns/ to cross check the IP's from this range (80.229.xx.xx) I suggest the rest of you who are getting the same probs as me to do the same, then send the report to the abuse team.
Community Veteran

There are lots on inexperienced PC users out here who have no idea how a PC works, what it is really doing or in many cases what they have actually installed on it. They just use the PC for the purpose they bought it for - playing games, surfing etc, or for the kids so they can learn about computers (which they all need to be familiar with, even at a young age now), and don't bother with email or have any idea what a virus, trojan or spyware is.

The fact that they are infected is not necessarily their fault because they don't understand what they have really done and often a PC will be infected without their knowledge, so they should not be blamed for it.

As others have said it would achieve nothing by posting IP addresses and names here as the vast majority would never see it to be able to act on it.

Your only course of action is to inform the ISP and for them to use the steps they have in place to deal with customers with infected PCs.
N/A

I hear what everyone is saying, but you all make it sound like nothing can be done and just to accept it.

Although largely people who have firewalls, don't suffer, the is a small loss each time their router/firewall is hit.. How long is it before a virus or trojan is released which does cause problems?

It's not upto PN to bail everyone out and it's in the conditions for PN that everyone provides a secure PC. PN could in theory throw these people off the network for flouting the T&C. Something that would ruin their image I know.

Are we really saying that nothing can be done?

As for user black lists, that just simply takes up space on your routers firewall and doesn't really make that much difference. It also might slow down your router/connection as it'll check every packet coming in for that IP address.

Aaron
N/A

Well i have just gone thru my restricted users list and reverse DNS looked up there IP's all of the IP i tracked was 80.229.xx.xx.

That's because your IP is the same range. That's how these local loop viruses propagate.

Put it in perspective, how many people are there behind the wheel of a car who have not had driving lessons, have faulty brakes, tyres or steering and have no insurance. What whould you rather be "hit" by.

Moderators note (John) Quote tags fixed for you
N/A

LMAO @ that reply, we aint in a car and you go on about thats the reason i get hit as its my range DUH tell me sumat i dont know.

As im a USER of PN i should have a say in this matter, as it affects me as im gaming. So any mod or admin can say yada what they like, still the fact remains that these fools with any virus or firewall in place should be booted off the network.

Simple as that!
N/A

Well. If you are being hit enough to effect gaming performance, then you have a legitimate grevance.

However, I seriously doubt you are getting enough hits to increase a usage couter by more than 10KB a day.
N/A

So any mod or admin can say yada what they like, still the fact remains that these fools with any virus or firewall in place should be booted off the network.

This has been discussed at length before
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16588
N/A

cqg4uzg, more and more people are driving without insurance every day. It's scary the number who already are and it's a nasty vicious circle. The rising cost of insurance because of these drivers, forces people to take the chance.

Firewalls and virus checkers aren't the same, as both can be got for nothing, zero, no cost. So there are no excuses.
Lack of knowledge is a poor excuse as well, especially since nearly every PC shop you go to will try an flog you a firewall and virus checker. In addition nearly every new PC will have x months free virus checker etc.

Because there is no sting in PN T&C, people flout it. Imagine you spend on a credit card and you fail to make a payment. Writen in the T&C is the fact you will be charged.
Maybe PN should charge people a small token fee if they have a virus problem for longer than 3 weeks.

I've e-mailed PN abuse account, more times than I care to recall. You get this lovely automated e-mail back, saying it could take 2 weeks. I accept it's difficult, but I'm sure everyone would be singing a different tune if it distrupted the network.

Aaron
N/A

The thing is, it does effect the network. Always has and always will.

I can gurentee on the spot, if Microsoft and countless knows how many other vendors had chosen better procedures meany years ago, traffic leaks would not be as bad as they are today.

ISPs and carriers design there networks, knowing that they have to account for such network noise.

The differance between an unlicened/insured driver, and a infected PC user?

There is no legal requirment to be an uninfected PC user.

Education should ahve started early. Forget the fact you can pickup a virus scanner at your local PC shop. Why didn't the PC shop advise you when you bought the system?

There are perfectly free systems they could pre-install. Hell, with tiein deals, they can pre-ship them with paid-for versions.

We shouldn't be in the position we are today, quite right. So rather than fight the inocent victims, should be not be taking aim at companies like Microsoft?